This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Eyeliner is a magical thing.  I’m not saying it can solve all the world’s problems, but putting it on in the morning usually makes me feel a little better about the day ahead.  During finals, we could all use that boost.  Since starting to use eyeliner in high school I have tried several different types and brands.  I’m super loyal to my favorite kind, but I recognize that all of them have their pros and cons.  Here is the (mostly) exhaustive list of eyeliners and how best to use them.

1. Pencil

This is probably where most people start with eyeliner, they’re great for a smudged, rock star look but it can be really difficult to achieve a smooth line with them.

Pros: Easy to find, fairly inexpensive, more color variety than some other kinds, Pencils last longer so you really get your money’s worth.

Cons: Smudges, hard to apply, you need to own a pencil sharpener, not versatile

Brand I recommend: Rimmel SpecialEyes Precision Eyeliner Pencil.  It goes on nicely for a pencil and it stays on really well.

1. Liquid

This is what most of the beauty bloggers and professionals use.  It makes a beautiful line, if you can use it correctly.

Pros: Beautiful line, you don’t have to pay very much for good quality, available in waterproof

Cons: This stuff is hard to use.  It can take ages to get that perfect line

Brand I recommend: Sephora Colorful Waterproof Eyeliner.  Comes in several great colors and has a fairly manageable brush, plus it will stay on through ANYTHING.

1. Gel

This one is a little harder to find, especially in a reasonable price range, and it requires an eyeliner brush, but it’s the absolute best!

Pros: Same smooth line as liquid, but much easier to manage, stays on nicely

Cons: Usually expensive, can dry out if you aren’t careful

Brand I recommend: Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Eyeliner. It’s a total splurge, but I think it’s absolutely worth it!

1. Kohl

One of the oldest forms of makeup, there’s a reason it’s stuck around for so long.

Pros: Bold, dark line, goes on smoothly, can be pretty cheap

Cons: smudges easily, hard to make a thin line

Brand I recommend: Rimmel ScandalEyes. Fantastic bang for your buck, and it creates a really nice line, as long as you’re careful not to smudge it.

SaveSave

Carley Roe

Sewanee '18

Carley is currently a senior.  She is a psych major with an education minor, because she really likes kids and talking about her feelings.  Carley is from Columbus, Ohio and relocated to the south for the "better weather".  She loves dogs, horses, nail polish, dresses, and bows. In her free time she enjoys texting her mom, horseback riding, reading, and netflix.  Her dislikes include jogging, being cold, and eels.  Learn more about her here!