8 Things You Didn’t Know About the Sewanee Symphony Orchestra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

This Friday, March 7th, at 7:30 pm in Guerry Auditorium, the Sewanee Symphony Orchestra will be putting on a concert featuring soloists entitled Steppin’ Out. The concert includes pieces by Vivaldi, Rossini, Reinecke, Mozart, and Gershwin. If you aren’t familiar with these composers, or if you simply want to learn more about the SSO, check out these 8 things you didn’t know about the Sewanee Symphony Orchestra! We hope to see you there!

1. It does, indeed, exist.
  2. Maestro Leal has been with us for about a year, and his passion for the music and the orchestra emanates from his conducting.
  3. The orchestra includes violin, viola, cello, upright bass, oboe, flute, piccolo, clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, french horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, and percussion.
  4. Every concert, we try to ally ourselves with other ensembles. This concert will feature a guitar ensemble performing Vivaldi’s Concerto for Guitar and Strings and classically trained soprano Carolyn Ramseur C’14 performing Rossini’s The Barber of Seville and Mozart’s Porgi, Amor from Le Nozze di Figaro.
  5. Dean Gatta is the principal clarinetist! Come hear him jazz it up in Gershwin’s Rhapsody In Blue!
  6. The orchestra is a place where students, faculty, and community members can get together and make music without the stress of concise office hours and academic responsibilities.
  7. Our pianist – Xu (Sherlock) Huiqi C’17 – is astounding. Come here him perform his solo sections within Rhapsody In Blue!
  8. We have a radio station dedicated to all things orchestral and musical.

This is our Facebook page.

And check out videos from our rehearsals here and here for a little taste of what you’ll hear on Friday!

We hope you can make it to this performance, but if you can’t, please put April 25th on your calender to come see our Broadway concert – same time, same place!

Madison is a sophomore from Chattanooga, Tennessee. She enjoys Christmas in July, things that sparkle, gender equality and LGBT activism, meditating, video games, and sushi. She is majoring in both English and Anthropology and hopes to become a journalist or researcher in Linguistic Anthropology.