7 Shows Every Girl Should Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

1. Parenthood 

What is so amazing about Parenthood is how amazingly it deals with issues that other shows struggle with. Each extension of this family has their own issues, and they deal with them together in complex ways that show the truth behind the issus. The show features mental disabilities, substance abuse, and so many other touchy subjects phenomenally. The acts genuinely care about representing the characters they play well. Nothing goes half-assed. Lauren Graham, Dax Shepard, and Mae Whitman are just a few of this superstar cast, so you know going in it’s going to be good. Not only do they portray complex storylines well, even the little things are given their due justice. Parenthood doesn’t minimize the problems that come with being a teenager or being an adult. They accurately depict what it means to be a girl going through puberty or an adult not sure what to do with their life. All in all, this is awesome and you should watch it.

2. Broad City 

Broad City is a good one because it is just so hecking funny. The two main characters, best friends Abbi and Ilana, are two Jewish women living in New York City and just trying to get through life unscathed (or as unscathed as possible). My favorite part is their representation of female friendships. Abbi and Ilana may have their fights, but in the end they are always there for each other. The show is produced by Amy Poehler, so you can rest assured that she is definitely going to give girl power its due justice through amazing and hilarious ways.

3. Supergirl 

Supergirl is amazing because it’s a female super hero with her own show. There aren’t many of those going around. The main character Kara, aka Clark Kent’s cousin, goes through life saving the day while also trying to be as normal as possible by dating and having a normal job. She’s basically a badass and I want to be her. This show exists in the same Universe as Arrow and The Flash, but in its own alternate reality since Superman doesn’t exist in the reality of Arrow and The Flash. Don’t worry though, there are plenty of crossovers to satisfy your Oliver Queen and Barry Allen needs. If you want to know how that’s possible, you’ll just have to watch the show.

4. Handmaid’s Tale 

Based off the book by Margaret Atwood, feminist extraordinaire, Handmaid’s Tale is about a dystopian United States society in the near future where reproduction rates have plummeted. In response to this dilemma, women who are fertile are rounded up and forced to take on the burden of reproducing for the entire country. Yeah. The show focuses on one girl named Offred, played by Elisabeth Moss, as she navigates this dystopian theocracy as a Handmaid. The show doesn’t totally stick to the plot of the book, but it’s still amazing and should be required viewing for any feminist. You will want to scream as you want, but it has moments scarily relevant to today.

5. Big Little Lies

Big Little Lies has a seriously killer cast. Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Zoë Kravitz, Alexander Skarsgård, and Adam Scott all come together in one drama-filled miniseries. A murder mystery, each episode has you on the tips of your toes as you try to figure out not only who the killer is, but also who was killed. I can’t tell you too much for obvious reasons, but believe me when I say this show is a must watch. The scenes alternate between flashbacks to the days leading up to the death and the days after when a detective is trying to figure out the truth of what happened, keeping just guessing the whole way through.

6. Orange is the New Black

With an incredibly diverse cast, Orange is the New Black is amazing in so many ways. Following Piper Chapman as she navigates the United States prison system, this Netflix original us based off the book by the same name by Piper Kerman. It illuminates what it’s like to be imprisoned and tells the stories of Piper’s fellow inmates, detailing their childhoods as well as their crimes. The show reveals the truth of the system, showing how women are put in and what it’s like once there. Each woman is detailed, getting thorough character development. If you want to watch some badass women in action, this is the show for you.

7. Gilmore Girls

Gilmore Girls is such a classic. It focuses on mother/daughter relationships, something that does not always get enough justice in the media industry. The relationships between women are so complex, and this show does a wonderful job of displaying that. Lorelei is a teen mom, but not once does the show demean her for that. She and her daughter Rory are strong women living in their small town and just trying to figure life out. They have their ups and downs, and there may be some moments that irk you, but all in all this show is gold.