13 Things To Get Your Mom for Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

I’d like to preface all of this by saying that Mother’s Day is not until May tenth, so my procrastinating friends all have plenty of time to purchase or buy something for the most important woman in your life.  I just really like shopping online, especially on Etsy.  While doing this, I noticed that Etsy had some unusual ideas of what to get for your mom*

1. A Beaded Acorn

We all know that our moms deserve as many beautiful things as we can afford to give them, but this little acorn might be missing the mark just a little.

2. A Wine Rack

If you got her wine to go with it maybe you could have a really fun girls night, but otherwise this is just another thing she’ll have to find a place for at home.

3. A Rock to Celebrate Dad

Nothing says “Mother’s Day!” like a little bit of irony I suppose, but she’d probably prefer a shinier rock, if you get my meaning.

4. A Knockoff Elsa Doll Dress

If your mom is an avid collector of doll clothes, then maybe you should look into this, but for most mothers of college students, this isn’t very useful.

5. A Wedding Dress

Maybe you really want your mom to marry someone, or renew her vows with your dad, but this might not be the best time to leave that hint.

6. A Handmade Wooden Pipe

For all your mother’s pipe smoking needs I suppose, but I know for sure my mom would say “Oh, thanks sweetie, I love it.” Before putting it away forever.

7. These Empty Jewelry Boxes

For the ultimate in poorly timed pranks, you can get your mom a sweet little empty box, for the jewelry you couldn’t afford to get her.

8. This Terrifying Mug

If your mom is a coffee drinking lover of horror movies, maybe you should check out this mug shaped like the distorted head of an angry baby.  I think I’ll pass.

9. A Vintage Bidet

Well, at least it shows that you’re concerned about her wellbeing, but honestly this would be a really weird thing to get your mom as a present.

10.  A Mermaid Bikini

For an added bonus, you could get yourself one to match, and go to the beach as twinsies!

11. This very Tiny Bag of Chocolate

If your mom has a sweet tooth, but you know she watches her calories, maybe you should get her a tiny bag of chocolate, but make sure not to go too big.

12. This Chapel Veil

The only way to show your mom you think she’s the best is to dress her as the ultimate mother: Mary, Mother of God.

13. This.  Just this.

I cannot describe how weird, strange, and downright gross it would be to buy this for your mother.  Seriously Etsy what were you thinking?!

This article is dedicated to my mom, who will not be recieving any of the gifts on this list.

*All of these items were found in the “Mother’s Day Gifts” section on Etsy, I’m not kidding.

Carley Roe

Sewanee '18

Carley is currently a senior.  She is a psych major with an education minor, because she really likes kids and talking about her feelings.  Carley is from Columbus, Ohio and relocated to the south for the "better weather".  She loves dogs, horses, nail polish, dresses, and bows. In her free time she enjoys texting her mom, horseback riding, reading, and netflix.  Her dislikes include jogging, being cold, and eels.  Learn more about her here!
Sarah Christie, C'16, is a biochemistry major and French minor at Sewanee. When she graduates, she wants to go to vet school. She loves dancing like nobody is watching, meeting new people, eating Pub food, riding horses, and writing for Her Campus.