burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

100 Years of Fashion Trends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Every century is notorious for the fashion liberties that were taken. Remember when it was in fashion for men to wear wigs? And when hoop skirts wear seen more as a form of fashion and less of as an instrument of torture for the poor woman who had to try to successfully sit down in it? Crazy as it may have been, the twentieth century to the present has been the most evolutionarily when it comes to taking fashion risks. From the Jazz Age to the nineties wave, every era has had its fair share of high and low styles, but here are a few that have stood the test of time and some that are better left in the past.

1910s

Even with the Edwardian period in it’s final year in 1910, many women still preferred this more romanticized style with the inclusion of the bustle and ornate accessories such as incredibly delicate hats adorned with feathers and flowers. However Post world war one found this more practical form of fashion. This led to the total disbandment of the bustle in everyday wear and a need for more functional daywear for women. The skirt was even beginning to be hemmed a few inches, causing a-line skirts to typically end around or a few inches higher than a women’s ankle.

Early 1910 fashion, closer associated to the Edwardian Era.

The latter image is a depiction of a shortened skirt around the year 1916.

1920s

During this time modernization became a huge deal. Not only with the arrival of flappers, (who have become a favorite halloween pastime) but as well as the emergence of women’s rights and iconic fashion designer, Coco Chanel, whose masculine take on women’s wear propelled, not only France, but the entire world. This caused the leading movement in women fashion known as “the boyish figure” which was defined by men’s typical day wear, such as the waist shirt, in a more feminine fashion.

A Chanel style from the 1920s, an example of the boyish figure.

Some of the most influential women, besides Coco Chanel, included the silent film stars that dominated 1920s American culture, such as Clara Bow and Louise Brooks. They triggered this very bohemian fashion across the nation that stuck with the rest of culture for the remaining decade. Bobbed hair, the full exclusion of the corset, and dropping their dress waistlines to their low hips created a more freeing form of expression for young women, causing quite a scandal from the elder women of society. Their dresses were also accustomed with fur and sequins and colors that often ranged in bright, pale palettes. Needless to say the ladies of the 1920s were some bad ass babes!

Pictured: Top – Clara Bow, Bottom – typical flapper fashion

1930s

Although shadowed by the Great Depression, the 1930s were actually an influential time for fashion in American history. The emergence of wide legged pants, made famous by actress, Katharine Hepburn, and a more effective masculine style gave women more liberties in their choice of dress.Women’s blazers and oxfords wear a typical pairing with the wide legged pants. The influence of Bonnie Parker (aka Bonnie & Clyde) also signified a popularity with pencil skirts which helped elongate their body. A women’s evening gown was usually of satin fabric, reaching to the floor and typically styled with lower backs to also add to the elongated figure. A woman’s hair was still kept to a bob, but the curls hung much looser; a more popularized style.

Pictured: Top – Katherine Hepburn, bottom – Bonnie Parker

1940s

World War 2 had an incredible effect on style in the 1940s. Typically associated with Patriotism and support for our troops was Victory Curls!

Blonde and redheaded beauties like Veronica Lake, Rita Hayworth, and Ginger Rogers were the poster girls for 1940s cinema and the peak of transformative styles.

Pictured: Veronica Lake’s signature hairstyle 

The concept of the pin up girl was widely influential in the ‘40s as well and created a more sexualized look.

1940s dresses were flattering with a modest top, fitted waist and knee length A-line skirt. The later ’40s saw the skirt narrow into the pencil or wiggle shape for a bit more Va Va Voom!  

Patriotic colors (red, white, blue, army green) were the most common during war time while brighter pink, yellow, and sky blue were seen as cheerful contrasts in the later years.

Patterns were beginning to become a big inclusion, especially florals and polka dots!

1950s

Most typically associated in the 1950s are two icons that defined two very different style structures, not only in Hollywood, but across the nation.

Marilyn Monroe emphasized this robust look. This look of tight fitting shirts and skirts became popularized by Ms. Monroe and the females of the world began to notice.

Audrey Hepburn, on the other hand, redefined the modern woman. The once unknown ballerina turned Award winning Actress propelled this “pixie” style beginning with her haircut in Roman Holiday. Soon young girls everywhere began to take part, not only in the pixie cut, but as well as pixie pants, smoking slippers, and comfortable, but fitting, shirts.

Another icon, like Elizabeth Taylor, set the style for lavish jewels, which she inherited from her many, many husbands.

1960s

An era motivated by sex and rock and roll which truly reflected the fashion, making it one of the most memorable, and over sexualized.

The invention of the mini skirts and shift dresses fueled this interpretaion as well as other tight fitting clothing.

The emergence of model, Twiggy, became a style icon of the decade.

Pictured: Twiggy, 1960s

1970s

Woodstock, hippies, and the peace sign? Yeah the ‘70s were faaarrr out, man! But all these factors still created some of the most modern, and sometimes cringe worthiest trends of all time (ask your parents if a pair of bell bottoms used to be incorporated in their wardrobe). However, the bellbottoms, including white go go boots and suede fringe vests would soon come to define an era as relaxed, loose fitting fashion that is always the most comical to look back upon.

1980s

Mens and womens fashion began to blend together in the 1980s. There was less association of gender rules and which style belonged more to a male or a female. This in part fueled by icon David Bowie. Other styles of this decade included neon patterns, fun metallic harem pants, and geometric shapes that were incorporated quite frequently into everyday attire.

Pictured: Top – David Bowie (Starman), Bottom – Outlandish ’80s fashion

1990s

A bit softer than the ‘80s, but still with as much fun and liberty, whenever I think of the ‘90s I like to think of big varsity jackets, reeboks, and a plethora of other trends that shall not be named .

A few trends from the 1990’s that have had a powerful influence on 2016 in particular are velvet and the choker! Jennifer Anisten, who became famous for her role of Rachel on Friends, was a huge influence on 1990s fashion.

Softer palettes were inspired by Her Royal Highness, Princess Diana, who was the decade’s modern woman and arguably most influential style icon.

2000s

Can anyone say Zenon? Silver coated, galactic space inspired outfits were definitely the early 2000s top concerns for fashion. However, moving into the millennial era isn’t just associated with ideas of space ship vacation homes, but as well as juicy couture sweatsuits, popped collars, graffiti inspired wear and other embarrassing trends that i’m sure we’ve all committed. The turn of the 21century, however embarrassing for some, were years in the fun, exciting new time when fun with fashion risks were acceptable and the country was being redefined by the wave of the future.

Pictured: Paris Hilton popularized some of the infamous trends of the early 2000s!

2010s

So that leaves us to where we are today: 2016.

Lots of things have definitely changed, but what is so great is that today we can see fashion as a culmination of the past centuries and still a nod to the future,

which truly cultivates 2010s of fashion: a decade of self expression, where the fashion trends are  whatever you make them to be.

Jennie is a Sophomore from Williamsburg, Virginia. she's fond of classic films, Jane Austen, bulldogs, and dressing up. She considers Audrey Hepburn and her mom to be her biggest role models.