bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to Stay Awake When Studying

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

With the school year winding down and the holiday season approaching we have one last feat to conquer…exam week. With exam week comes the late night studying, lack of sleep, and cranky moods. Here are 10 ways to help you stay awake during your late night cram sessions and get you closer to celebrating the holidays.

1. Eat healthy snacks

I know when stress kicks in we’re tempted to grab our third bag of cheetos but resist the temptation. Eating snack with high sugar will give you a quick energy boost but is followed by a crash. Instead try eating healthier snacks such as yogurt, an apple or baby carrots that will give you an energy boost in the long run. 

2. Sit up & turn the lights on 

Being too comfortable will cause you to want to sleep, so sit up straight at a desk to help you stay focused. Avoid studying in a comfy chair/bed, no matter how much they’re calling your name. Rather than studying by a dim lamp turn on brighter lights to help increase alertness. 

3. Move around

The gym…what’s that? Thirty Minutes of daily exercise can help to prevent fatigue. When drowsiness does hit during studying take a break to move around. Take a walk to grab a snack or do some jumping jacks. 

4. Drink water

Drink fluids (other than coffee) to prevent dehydration and fatigue. 

5. Take a nap

Getting a restful night of sleep is hard during all of the late night studying. Taking ONE nap during the day far enough from your bedtime can help increase productivity. Try taking around a 25 minute nap, no longer than an hour. If you can’t fit that in even resting your eyes for five to 10 minutes can help. 

6. Cold air

Avoid working in a warm room that will lull you to sleep. Study with the windows open or a fan. The cool air will help you stay awake. 

7. Switch subjects

Studying one subject for too long can get boring. Switch topics every hour to keep your mind stimulated. 

8. Chew gum

Chew a minty gum or suck on a mint to wake up your senses. 

9. Listen to upbeat music

Avoid listening to soothing music. Pick something with a nice beat, that’s not distracting while you study. 

10. Drink Caffeine 

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Try to avoid constantly drinking caffeine but when you’re pulling your final all nighters go ahead and drink a ton of coffee for that extra boost. 

Anna is a sophomore Psych major and Education minor. Her top favorite things are whales, koala hugs, and putting people in awkward situations.