10 Things to Keep in Your Emergency Kit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

I have the worst luck. It seems that everything that could go wrong has happened to me at some point. From getting my period while wearing white pants, to fainting because of period cramps (yep, been there done that). These are some items that I keep in my emergency kit to try preventing them from happening again. For being called an emergency kit, I probably use what I keep inside at least once a week. But hey, that’s what it’s there for right?

1. Ibuprofen

Advil (Ibuprofen) is one item that I always always have on me. It helps relieve headaches, period cramps, toothaches, even muscle pain. Having it has saved me and my friends so many times (to whoever invented it, THANK YOU!). I wonder what people did to relieve their pain before Advil came along?

2. Bandaids

I’m always surprised at how many people don’t carry bandaids around. Bandaids come in handy for so many purposes. One of my favorite uses is putting them on the back of my feet before putting on new shoes because it lessens the friction between the foot and the shoe, which prevents blisters! It makes breaking in shoes so much less painful!

3. Hair tie

Don’t you hate when you’re trying to tie your hair up but then the hair tie snaps?! It’s so frustrating. Keeping an extra hair tie in your emergency kit gives you another one so you won’t ever need to leave your hair down when you want it up!

4. Tampon/ Pantiliner/ Pad

Having backup feminine products can be a day saver when you get your period on a day least expected or when you underestimate the flow of your period. Better safe than sorry right? My favorite compact tampon and liner brand is u by kotex, they make them so small and easy to carry with you!

5. Tissues

Okay, I really hate that feeling of knowing I have to blow my nose, but being nowhere near tissues or toilet paper, which means I have to sniff every 5 seconds :(

6. Blotting sheets

I have really oily skin, so this is a necessity for me. As I get  oily throughout the day (especially in my t-zone), blotting tissues saves the day. The ones I’m currently using is by clean and clear. The sheet is actually blue but turns clear when after you blot. It’s so satisfying (also a tad gross) to see the amount of oil that has been absorbed from my face.

7. Allergy medicine

This is really important, especially in the springtime. Seasonal allergies are so inconvenient and can cause symptoms of sickness. Nip those feelings in the bud and enjoy the wonderful sunny outdoors!

8. Floss

Have you ever asked a friend if you have anything in your teeth, they say no but then you look in the mirror an hour later and see more than just your pearly whites? Have no fear! Floss will take care of you!

9. Hand sanitizer wipes

Having clean hands is just a good feeling. I always take a couple of those individually packaged ones home with me when I eat at Chick-fil-A and keep them with me for when I need them.

10. Chapstick

In my opinion, this is the most important item in my emergency kit. One of my least favorite feelings is having dry lips. I’m one of those people that keeps a chapstick in my backpack, my purse, my car, basically everywhere. But I’m also one of those people that loses chapsticks almost weekly…

BONUS! Granola Bar

Traveling a lot has taught me to keep a small snack with me wherever I go. This eliminates the need to buy overpriced food at the airport or on the plane. A Granola bar is my prefered snack because it’s filling enough to hold me over until my next meal.

SaveSave

Displaced New Englander who loves the outdoors, sweet tea, sunsets, dogs and the beach.