The 10 Rookie Mistakes I Made First Month of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Mistakes are an inevitable part of life, especially for any new collegiette. My first month on the Domain has been full of moments where I’ve slipped up, and I’m still learning how to pick myself up from those falls and keep going. But I treat every day as a new learning experience and try to remind myself that every freshman I know is still figuring college out too. With that said, here’s a short list of some of the lessons I’ve learned the hard way during my first month at Sewanee.

Everyone makes mistakes. Learn from them, and then don’t worry, because clearly that’s what Beyoncé would do.

1. Don’t carry a flask. Seriously, the Sewanee cops hate them and will inevitably come harass you for it. Invest in a Nalgene and you’re golden.
  2. Don’t waste your money on a pedicure. Frat parties are a pretty pedi’s worst nightmare. Your feet will get stepped on, your polish chipped, and frat sludge is very, very real. (But, come on, sometimes you just have to treat your feet – the best place to do it is here!) 
  3. Get enough sleep. This will mostly come in the form of small naps scattered throughout your day, so you’ll learn to take whatever you can get, but a full night’s sleep is a body’s best friend. 
  4. You’re always missing out on something, don’t worry about it. 
  5. Don’t wear heels out if you’re not sleeping in your own bed. The walk home the next morning is painful and embarrassing. 
  6. Get a smaller purse for going out. The smaller the better, and cross-bodies are ideal for no hassle fun. My favorite is the Jon Heart “Becky” bag. Plus it’s monogrammed, yo. 
  7. Take off your makeup before bed, I beg you. 
  8. Try not to get blackout every weekend. It’s more fun to have memories, and your friends will get tired of taking care of your drunk ass. 
  9. You don’t have to dress “slutty” for frat parties here. You totally can and no one will judge you, but I’m learning to take advantage of this rare laxness and just be comfortable. Plus, I mean come on, no one will remember what you were wearing anyway. 
  10. Don’t let your dirty dishes situation get out of control. Your room will reek and the bugs will find you.
Emily is a freshman at The University of the South hailing from Charleston, SC. She is an English major who enjoys reading, way too much online shopping, and trying to steal other people's pets.