Your HC Recap for the First Debate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

If you were on twitter at all Monday night, your feed was most likely filled with tweets about the first Presidential debate. Here’s a quick recap:

Trump:

Trump was expected to show a cooler, more composed side as he’s been criticized for his demeanor so far in his campaign. Despite that, Trump wasn’t able to “keep his cool.” He repeatedly interrupted Clinton and seemed agitated; raising his voice multiple times and squabbling with Lester Holt. A CNN article was headlined with “Trump Takes Bait” (http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/27/politics/winner-presidential-debate-takeaways/index.html) . Trump started off strong with his appeal to working class Americans, slamming the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) of which Secretary Clinton was a major supporter. During his campaign thus far, he has been able to connect with blue-collar workers because of his language and demeanor. He sets himself apart from other politicians by advertising himself as an “outsider” who will take corruption out of politics.

Clinton:

Clinton came out of the gate with attacks against Trump and the many controversial statements he’s made so far during his campaign. Trump has been accused of having “thin skin” and her comments clearly agitated him. Many analysts agree that Clinton has more of a plan when it comes to jobs and a taxes. Some of Trumps attacks on Clinton also allowed her to open up about her time as Secretary of State. This presented Clinton as a stronger candidate with more experience and knowledge. The latest polls on Tuesday morning have Clinton 3 points above Trump.

Let us know what you thought of the debate and which candidiate you think won by using the hashtag #HCSHUDebate and make sure to follow us @HerCampusSHU

"If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change toward him. We need not wait to see what others do." -Mahatma Gandhi. I live for vanilla lattes and chocolate covered pretzels. If you don't like the color pink, chances are I don't like you. Future President... and if all else fails, future First Lady.