Why I Still Love Being in a Sorority Even Though I Don’t Have a Little

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

I knew I wanted to be a big the second I met mine. She is confident, caring, and beautiful inside and out. I was an awkward freshman at times, and even though she probably is not aware of this, she shaped me into the woman I am today in many ways. She truly was my sister mother- showing me the ins and outs of my sorority. I admire her, I adore her, and I could not wait to one day be this type of role model to someone else- my future little.

As formal recruitment came around the next year, I counted down the days until I would get a little. Due to some complications, the whole “little” process did not work out for me. At first, I was so upset. The majority of my pledge class had littles that they were obsessed with. They had crafts to make and social events galore to bond with their littles. I felt like I did not have a place at first because I thought I would be celebrating with my pledge class over our new littles.  

What I thought was such a “devastating blow,” really turned out better than I could have ever expected. Having a little does not completely define your role or your legacy. I thought a little would make me feel complete- but I have my sisters for that!

My sisters are supportive, loving, and always around. You don’t need a little to feel complete if you have a tight-knit organization. I am happy; I love our sisterhood and our philanthropy. Yes, I am definitely looking forward to the day I get my future little. But, it is not the end of the world when you don’t get one right away. It just gave me an extra year to prep for being a super cool mom. 

Jillian Lope

Seton Hall

Jillian is a junior attending Seton Hall University and studying Diplomacy and International Relations. She is a traveler, an art lover, and a theatrical soul.