Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund: Breaking the Silence and Ending the Stigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The economic burden of victims of workplace discrimination can sometimes seem crushing to an already struggling human- this is where Time’s Up Legal Defense Fund works to ease the pain.

Time’s Up is a national organization that “helps defray legal and public relations costs in select cases for those who experienced sexual harassment or related retaliation in the workplace.” Last year, the Fund launched in an effort to ease the pain of the aftermath of harassment in the professional world, especially in cases of low income victims, or people of color.

In addition to their legal aid, they also advocate for therapeutic relationships and partner with organizations that concentrate on various specific fields, like Women in Film, Restaurant Opportunities Centers United, Press Forward, and the National Women’s Law Center. These partners can be found on the Time’s Up website for those seeking specific aid in addition to legal costs. The Time’s Up website also boasts a variety of resources so that anyone who has been victimized by harassment or has observed this can know their rights and know which steps to take to get their taste of justice.

Time’s Up has also spawned the 4% Challenge- a challenge for major Hollywood forces to boost the 4% of female directors in their industry at the top tier (top 1200 Hollywood productions) and hire more female directors to direct feature films in the next 18 months. This is especially relevant given the recent absence of female nominees in the Best Director category at the 2019 Academy Awards. Tessa Thompson spoke out on the issue in a keynote speech at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival, formally launching the challenge. Supporters have already begun to speak out, such as Nina Jacobson, Paul Feig, Amy Schumer, and Franklin Leonard. You can find the (growing) list of supporters on the Time’s Up website.

Time’s Up is one of the first steps in a movement toward a more inclusive, empowered, safe workplace that allows people of all genders, races, socio-economic statuses, and sexualities to follow their passions amidst a sea of professional, encouraging individuals.

You can donate to their cause at https://www.timesupnow.com/donate.

Sophie Gochtovtt

Seton Hall '21

Sophie is a double major in Visual and Sound Media and Creative Writing at Seton Hall. She is an active sophomore- involved in Alpha Sigma Tau, English Club, and Pirate TV. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading books and writing stories.
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.