jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Take Me Out On A Date

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

You should ask her out.  The girl with the green baseball cap coming out of Jubilee, wearing a book bag that looks like it weighs 100 pounds.  You may think she’s too shy, but you should ask her out. Or the guy with the leather jacket you always pass on The Green going to and from class on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2:00 p.m.? He notices you too.  You should ask him out. 

Living on a small campus, it’s no surprise that we (unconsciously) notice the routines of the people around us.  We grow so accustomed to the faces of our fellow pirates, but how many of them do we really know?

In this zombie-like age where our eyes are constantly glued to our phones and our ears are plugged listening to Broadway Hits (guilty) or Adele’s new album, we miss out on so many opportunities for human interaction.  This has become incredibly apparent in the way we communicate in the dating world as well. 

We want to encourage all the brave Seton Hall pirates to take a leap of faith and ask someone out on a date this new fall season!

Instead of swiping right on Tinder or snapchatting that guy you’re into for 3 months before either of you figures out a way to make a move, let’s regroup. It’s time to reestablish our social nature and be daring! 

Here are some reasons why:

1. You know who you’re actually talking to

Sure, it’s nice to have someone to snapchat and text, but a lot of things can get lost in translation when you’re communicating over social media.  When you go out with someone in person, you can recognize things such as the tone of their voice, inflection, sarcasm, and facial expressions that can help you understand what they are trying to communicate.  Overall it will lead to better conversation and social skills, and if they’re easy on the eye, it makes it that much better!

2. It’s an incredible compliment (!)

It can be scary asking someone out on a date.  We all fear rejection or embarrassment, but it is really something to be admired.  When you ask someone out on a date, you’re literally saying, “I find you so intriguing of an individual that I want to spend time alone with you and get to know you.”  Now that is an undeniable compliment.  There’s no need to feel embarrassed!

3. It could really lead to something special

How many people want to say they met their significant other on Tinder?  That all they did in the beginning of their relationship was “Netflix and chill?”  We are all social creatures who crave interaction and companionship, and this is a very good thing. Take a leap of faith and ask a girl/ guy out that you’ve had your eye on. Who knows where it could lead?!

Nicole Floyd

Seton Hall

Nicole is a Sociology and Catholic Studies double major at Seton Hall, and she is also a member of the school's Honors Program. When she is not studying or writing papers in the library (aka procrastinating), she can be found scouting cuties in the caf, binge watching Netflix (Bones & Friends being the most recent victims), drinking copious amounts of coffee, and laughing uncontrollably for no apparent reason. Down the road, Nicole would like to conduct research and create documentaries exposing a variety of societal issues that have yet to be addressed in order to make better the lives of those around her, and she will do so with her faithful cup of coffee in hand.
Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.