This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

With the new year fast approaching, it’s important to make a statement on New Year’s Eve—fashion wise.  Leaving the year and starting the year in the same, cool outfit is a very smart decision to make.  One of the most popular trends during this time of year is the sequin trend.  How can you not love it?! The sparkles, the glowy metallics and the ultimate statement, sequins say it all.  But there’s a difference between sparkly fun clothes and tacky cheap clothes.  Here are some of our best tips for styling sequins this holiday season!

1.     Look for a piece that provides dimension.

There is such a thing as matte sequins, which provide texture to the outfit more than anything, but why bother? Your go-to sequin look this season should provide movement, shape and shine!

2. The more intricate the better.

Designs made from sequins always look more expensive and can make clothing look like a work of art.  If there is an intricate pattern or design, your outfit can look much more unique!

Pro tip: A lot of vintage/thrift stores have sequin and beaded tops with intricate, cool designs that you can get for way cheap!

3. Don’t be afraid to be bold!

Sequins are supposed to make a statement.  From the bold colors to the sparkle to full body jumpsuits covered in them, there is no room to hide! Embrace the bold style of sequins and make them add a little more sparkle to your life.

2016 is going to be a great year and what better way to ring it in than with the cutest, most sequin glowing outfit! Happy New Year!

Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.