Siobhan McGirl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Full Name: Siobhan McGirl

Majors: Broadcasting and Journalism

Year: Senior

Hometown: Washington Township, NJ 

Meet honor student senior, Siobhan McGirl, who is pretty much doing it all! She is an RA, a member of the Brownson Speech and Debate Team, a writer for the Setonian, a servant leader scholar, an intern and she works for pirate TV. When does this girl sleep?

Her Campus (HC): Where do you currently intern?

Siobhan McGirl (SM): I am currently working for the Emmy Award winning CBS News Investigative Unit. 

HC: During your time at SHU where else have you interned?

SM: My first internship was with the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia, then I interned with ABC NY and the 7 On Your Side Unit. Then I went to ABC News Nightline, and now I’m with CBS News. Stay tuned for where I will be next semester (: 

HC: What is your favorite aspect of your internship?

SM: I love hearing people’s stories and sharing them with others. Journalism enables you to give a voice to the voiceless. It is such an important responsibility. An informed public is such a key part to our society. Not only to be knowledgeable of world events, but also so people can experience something outside of their own little world. Journalism allows you to make sure people get that opportunity. It can open hearts, minds, and leads to important questions. I hope I never take that for granted. 

HC: What have you learned from your internship?

SM: I have learned to be skeptical and ask good questions.  I have learned to always work as a team and look out for your people. I have learned to focus on stories that matter. I have learned that the power of a personal narrative is everlasting, that there is so much more to the world than it seems through my two eyes. I have learned to help others whenever and however I can. I have learned that this is what I need to be doing for the rest of my life.

HC: What is the work environment like?

SM: Everyone I meet is so willing to help. People are excited that I am excited. It is collaborative. I work with such intelligent people and just try to soak up as much as I can each day. I always leave the newsroom having learned something that will hopefully make me a better journalist in the long run.

HC: What SHU activities and organizations are you involved in?

SM: I am on the school’s Brownson Speech and Debate team. It’s not really debate, though. We compete in individual events where we either write a speech, interpret literature, or present impromptu speeches. It focuses on argumentation and sharing messages that are important to our society. I basically travel around the country every other weekend and get to share stories with others, and more importantly listen to others’ stories. It challenges my thought, opens my mind, and I am so thankful for the opportunity.

HC: How do you manage all of your activities?

SM: I make sure I’m only doing things that I love and make me happy. Then it comes easily. Also- my planner is my best friend. 

HC: Who do you most look up to in your field?

SM: I admire Christiane Amanpour so much. I think she is so intelligent and really knows how to craft a narrative that gives justice to all sides. She is fair and balanced and does reporting that matters. She is just in it for the right reasons. I also look up to Diane Sawyer. I read about her a lot. She cares so much about reporting and doing it the right way. They are both so fierce and remind me why I want to be in journalism. In addition, I admire the work of Brian Ross, Robin Roberts, David Muir, Scott Pelley, Bob Woodward, Byron Pitts, Sacha Pfeiffer…I could go on all day. 

HC: What is your ultimate career goal?

SM: I want to be an Investigative Reporter in New York or a correspondent for one of the networks. But as long as I am telling stories and meeting new people, I will be happy. 

HC: What are your plans after Seton Hall?

SM: I want to start reporting right away. Generally, you have to start out in a small market. So I am probably going to be packing up, leaving the big city, and starting out small. But the goal is to climb up the ranks and be back in NYC reporting as soon as I can. 

HC: What is a typical workday like for you?

SM: News is always changing. There is no typical workday and that’s what I love most about it. I do a lot of reading, talk to so many different people, monitor the wires, research and write. It’s always fast paced and never the same. 

HC: How do you spend your free time?

SM: Free time? Well, I just turned 21 about two weeks ago. That was exciting. I feel very cool, which I guess by logic makes me less cool. I like to think I’m the kind of person who can be zen in my free time and do yoga or color or crochet or something. I really tried to be like that, but those darn coloring books stress me out. I just try to spend as much free time with my friends and family having a fun time and laughing. I like to read as much as I can, listen to podcasts and just chat with people. Oh, I’m also a huge sucker for Grey’s Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, Friends, and Taylor Swift. I also have pretty regularly scheduled personal dance parties in my room. Check out the Spotifiy playlist “Have a Great Day.” It gets me super pumped. 

My name is Margarita Williamson and I am a junior Journalism major from beautiful Southern California. I have a passion for ranch dressing and I love country music, Netflix, and reading. I support all things Taylor Swift and will defend One Direction till the end. My knack for investigating is top notch. I aspire to attend law school in the hopes of one day becoming a legal commentator.