This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

If you haven’t seen Black Panther yet, first of all what are you doing? Get to a movie theater now!

Black Panther at its roots, is a marvel movie about super-hero, T’Challa navigating his way through the world as the new black panther, with the weight of a country on his shoulders.

While, the black panther is the title of the movie, the real stars are the women of Wakanda. Okoye, Shuri, and Nakia, are characters that perfectly represent what feminism is: women who get to be equally fierce, strong, and important as the men to the benefit of society.

In Wakanda, it’s not a competition.

It is also a non-debatable fact that, the only way that the country can be at its best, is when everyone is working at their best.

Shuri:

She’s a smart gal. Okay, that was understatement, she is a technological wiz! So good, that she is in chards of literally all the technological advancements in Wakanda. Yes, girl!

Okoye:

Not only is she head of the Dora Milaje, an all-female special forces group, but she’s fair and honorable; loyal to the black panther, and even more loyal to Wakanda. Plus, she could totally kick your butt.

Nakia:

A spy for Wakanda, determined to use her resources for the greater good, and those who desperately need it. She’s smart, she’s savvy, but more importantly she is a character that uses the goodness of her heart, when everyone else uses their head.

More than just really cool heroines, these ladies represent an image to young African American girls everywhere. Something that isn’t portrayed often in movies, which is Black women who are the focus. Black women who can be funny, smart, kind, and when need be ferocious. It is a representation that is important, because it is positive.

As much as Black Panther represents blackness, and heroism, it represents the power of the woman.

So, if you haven’t seen it, go, go, go!

Megan Beauchamp

Seton Hall '19

Writer of people, places, and things. Hey, read my things!
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.