Must See Movies of 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

5. The Hitman’s Bodyguard, 39% Rotten Tomatoes, iMDb 7/10

Who says criminals don’t need protection too? Samuel L Jackson and Ryan Reynold star as an unlikely duo in this fast paced, yet still somehow heartwarming story of a hitman convicted of murder, treason, as well as a slew of other crimes, and one of the world’s premiere protection agents (who also has a history of “not getting along with” his charge). Reynolds’ character is charged with escorting Jackson to Hague to testify against a genocidal president at the United Nations. A hilarious acting duo, as well as an action packed plot makes this a movie that will have you on the edge of your seat the entire hour and fifty eight minutes. 

4.  Atomic Blonde, 75% Rotten Tomatoes, iMDb 7.1/10

If the retro, fluorescent colored, stylistic movies are your thing, Atomic Blonde was created just for you. Charlize Theron stars as Lorraine, a top MI6 agent, whose mission is to safely deliver a dossier filled with the names of every agent in the organization, and track down the mole who let the information slip. She navigates the crumbling Berlin Wall with James Bond-esque ease with the help of an eccentric American agent, played by James McAvoy. The action scenes are the pinnacle of the brutal, no holds barred fighting style attributed to many of the spies in the real-life Cold War. 

3. Spiderman: Homecoming, 92% Rotten Tomatoes, iMDb 7.9/10

Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman is back for a third round of films, this time starring Tom Holland as Peter and Zendaya as the fierce Mary Jane Watson. Peter is faced with not only the pressure of finding a date for Homecoming but also with saving New York from the Vulture, whose mastery of the Chitauri gadgets left over from Loki’s attempt to take over the Earth threatens everyone in Peter’s life. However, as opposed to his British counterparts, Tom Holland’s Peter Parker has a little help from his comic book mentor, Tony Stark. The style of the movie is just as colorful and fast paced as Stan Lee (author of the original Spidey comics in the 1960s) originally imagined for the teenaged hero.

2. Wonder Woman 92% Rotten Tomatoes, iMDb 7.8/10

Patti Jenkins took the world by storm with the classic story of Diana, princess of Themyscira, Wonder Woman herself. Gal Gadot stars in the action packed origin story, complete with gratuitous shots of Chris Pine as Steve Trevor, her love interest. The story covers Diana’s first journey off Themyscira, her island homeland, to track down the god of war and stop him from killing the humans she adore so much. Jenkins’ expertly executed philosophical undertones makes the viewer think about the events of the war in an entirely new way, while still painting the mythology into the classic story of Ms. Prince herself.  

1. Baby Driver, 93% Rotten Tomatoes, iMDb 8.1/10

Retro music, reckless driving, and Ansel Elgort. What else needs to be said? Ansel Elgort stars as Baby, a getaway driver with tenitis, in his endeavors to repay the crime boss who he stole from when he was younger. As his assigned heists increase in risk, and lessen in the sanity of his criminal co-workers, his chances at a calm, happy life with the beautiful diner waitress Debora dwindle. Armed with a killer soundtrack and more than a few nice looking cars being destroyed, Baby Driver is tons of fun, and sends a very important message of hope to the deaf and hard of hearing community.