Michael Schur’s Claim to Fame: Why Mockumentary Sitcoms are so Funny

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Warning: contains some spoilers!

Odds are you have heard the age old argument: which do you like more-The Office or Parks and Recreation? Some might also add similar office comedies such as Brooklyn 99 to the mix but the general structure remains the same in any case. Michael Schur- the creator of all of the aforementioned shows seems to have a formula which works for just about anyone’s sense of humor. Each show takes its own variation and tone in approaching the hilarity of mediocrity and day to day life. Schur has developed a subgenre of comedy that never fails to get good ratings (at least after the second season premieres). Additionally, judging from the extreme response that fans had after the announcement that Fox would be canceling Brooklyn 99 and how many times I personally have watched both Parks and Recreation and The Office straight through (16 and 7 respectively), people love to be reminded of how mediocre, yet amazing, the American workplace is. 

A “mockumentary” describes a film or TV show that details an event or series of events that did not happen in the real world but is filmed in the style of a documentary. Essentially, the term describes one of the main reasons that each of these shows can be so well loved. The plot of all three workplace comedies is exactly the same, detailing an eclectic group of cinematically interesting people on a parallel day by day and episode by episode basis.

Each one uses a “cold open” which means that the 2-4 minutes before the opening credits are a sketch designed to hook the audience without giving away too much of the plot. For example, one of the more recent  cold opens of Brooklyn 99 is a police lineup which requires Jake Peralta to conduct a group of criminals in an oddly harmonized rendition of I Want it That Way by the Backstreet Boys to solve a murder. The episode then goes on without even acknowledging the skit at all. These one-off skits can add depth to each character in the same way that your coworker’s story about how she and her boyfriend spent the weekend playing your favorite video game and offered to hang out and play with you on PSLive tomorrow night. Each skit reminds us that these characters have moments that define them but don’t really matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Another common thread between Schur’s shows is the choice of characterizations. An interesting character who grows over the course of the series is a vital aspect of any TV show in any genre. Parks and Recreation has a very distinct way of creating innocence in everyday characters. April and Andy Dwyer’s relationship is an obvious example, especially given the shopping subplot in the episode Jerry’s Painting. The pair are what every love struck teenager longs for in a relationship- childish and innocent, yet supportive and mature. They don’t want to become adults and give up their childhood innocence, but remind us that it’s okay to have a marshmallow war in the midst of paying bills and working an office job. The characters are designed to bring us life lessons about how to enjoy life to the fullest in our constant routine through our relationships with each other. In one of the final episodes of Parks and Recreation, Tom details just how individualistic each character in the department is in an inspirational speech to promote his new self-help book about how each character should approach a business situation.

All three shows also lend themselves to binge-ability. The short span of the episodes (usually 25 minutes) lets you watch the shows in rapid succession anywhere in your day- in between classes, on your lunch break, or during an afternoon workout sesh. Each show can also be rewatched because they follow a general pattern but still remain original and funny. Watching characters like Michael Scott grow from “that’s what she said” jokes to being the butt of an overly attached dad jokes is just as heartwarming the 7th time around as it was the first time. It’s like watching home movies and cringing at the giant emo streak your 13 year old self thought was a great idea.

All in all mockumentaries remind us that it’s okay to be human. You’re a complex being with an original trademark- it makes you human and it makes you interesting, no matter if your hobbies involve playing “the Cones of Dunshire” or being a business mogul who prides themselves on being “cool”. The American workplace is a place where mediocrity is celebrated- it’s okay to laugh at it!

Sophie Gochtovtt

Seton Hall '21

Sophie is a double major in Visual and Sound Media and Creative Writing at Seton Hall. She is an active sophomore- involved in Alpha Sigma Tau, English Club, and Pirate TV. In her free time, she enjoys watching movies, reading books and writing stories.
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.