The Life of a Runway Model in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Imagine going from sitting at a desk to sitting in a chair getting your hair and makeup done. Well Carina, a freshman at Seton Hall knows the exact feeling as she is a runway model and a college student. Now that is multitasking at its finest, right ladies. 

Carina first begun her modeling career when she was only nine years old by accident! She was at a friend’s birthday party dressing up and taking pictures when the photographer noticed her and told her mom to put her into modeling. #Thanksmom 

Carina started to walk at malls and even took some classes by Mandy Lieveld, an international runway coach to learn how to walk. Yes model walking is far harder than all us may think. Now Carina struts in 5 inch heels. #Slaygirl #catchmefallinginwedges 

Currently Carina is not signed to any agencies, but is on the hunt for one. She has been free lancing for these past years but wishes to get signed soon and start receiving some bigger jobs. 

At a casting, which is basically like an audition, Carina says she walks in, hands a portfolio and comp card over to the people at the table, and then does a walk for them. There is absolutely no talking throughout this whole process which Carina says took some time to get used to. 

Something Carina also says takes some getting used to is, hearing “no” and or hearing nothing at all from castings. She stays positive by realizing they are not saying no to her personal self but to her business self and that those people are separate. She is also a firm believer in “If it doesn’t happen, it is not supposed to happen.” 

Her favorite part about modeling is that it has become an artistic outlet for her. “You get to become one with the outfits which all have a story and play a different role in each one.” 

Before walking for shows, Carina has some rituals she likes to do. First for diet, she maintains an all liquid diet two days before. The day before she won’t drink or eat anything at all. She mentions not to try this at home because it is something that you train your body for, not just something to try before prom. #Bummer She also removes any nail polish, makes sure her skin is clear, and is cleanly shaved. 

When asked what her most memorable moment of her modeling career was, she said modeling at Madison Square Garden for New York Fashion Week because although she was really walking the runway, in her head she was performing for her own audience. So yes, technically Carina can write “sold out a show at Madison Square Garden.” LOL 

If there was one thing Carina could change about the modeling industry it would be that she would want there to be no “plus size” or “runway” models, rather just models. 

Her dream job would be to become a Victoria Secret model just like her icon Adriana Lima.