Justin Beebe ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.
For Hunger Games week, we decided to find a huge fan of the series, who also does plenty on campus, to be our celebrity. Find out more about senior public relations major Justin Beebe, and how he would be in the Games!

When did you read The Hunger Games? I read the Hunger Games over this past winter break. I had just bought the first book for my boyfriend and decided to read them as well. I finished the series in a week.

How did you hear about them? I had heard some talk about it, not much. I was walking through Barnes and Noble looking for Christmas presents and one of my friends, Nick Parco, told me that the series was supposed to be pretty good. So, I picked up the first book. 

What do you like most about them? I love the action throughout the series, and the creativity the author put behind the core idea. I love stories about post-apocolyptic worlds and how we as humans handle it. I like the uncertainty, the stakes, and the danger. I’m always watching zombie and end-of-the world shows. Plus I love paranormal stuff. I’m a huge geek at heart haha! 

Which book in the series is your favorite? My favorite book throughout the series is definitely the second one, Catching Fire. This would be spoiling the plot, so feel free to not add it, but I love when the author thinks of meticulous ways to trap and confuse characters. The fact that the arena was so much more than just landscape blew my mind. It was so well thought out and gave the characters the ability to plan and use their surroundings to their advantage. (It was a clock! ;] )

What would your special skill be if you were in the arena? I have been told numerous times that my skill would be similar to that of Foxface. I tend to be very quick and elusive. I’d rely on keeping on the outskirts and making my move when it is beneficial to me. I guess you could say my skill would be speed. 

What activities do you do on campus, and what life skills have they given you that would make you a stronger person than others in the arena? I am part of Alpha Phi Omega, the campus service fraternity, and Habitat for Humanity and have learned to work in teams. I know how to work along side a confidant throughout the games. However, I understand how to do things on my own as well. I also play intramural sports. I’ve played soccer my whole life, dodgeball, and flag football. I know how to be aggressive if I need to be. 

What character do you identify with most? I would have to say I identify with Peeta the most. I think he is vey emotionally driven, as am I. I know Katniss is in it for her sister, but I think Peeta’s emotions outdo hers at times. He is also extremely loyal to Katniss, to the extent that he does many things that endanger himself in order to keep her alive. His loyalty always comes first. 

When are you seeing the movie? I am seeing the movie Friday night at 10:30. I bought my tickets in advance!

What are your hopes for it, and do you like what you’ve seen so far in trailers and photos? I have decent expectations for the film. I never like to have high hopes, just in case it isn’t completely true to the book- so I can still enjoy the film for what it is. However, the photos and trailers have made me extremely happy. Only a few characters look different than I pictured, and I am happy to say they are not the main characters. 

What district were you placed in on Capitol.PN? What do you think your job would be? I have been placed into District 3, Technology, as an Engineer. I think this actually fits me pretty well. I tend to be technologically savvy and love gadgets. I grew up watching my dad build and fix computers so I ended up loving all technology. 

If the games were real today, which SHU professor would you want as your mentor, and why? If the games were real, I would want my mentor to be Professor Angelella. I know him pretty well and I know he’d be resourceful and know how to act in the arena. I’m also confident he would survive if in the games, solidifying that he would live to actually BE a mentor. He would make sure I was well trained and I know he would use sponsors well.

We have to ask – Team Peeta or Team Gale? Haha- I tend to hate the whole “team” thing ever since it was introduced with Twilight, which I also highly dislike. However, since I identify highly with Peeta I suppose it would be fitting to choose him.
Charlotte Lewis is a sophomore at Seton Hall University studying Journalism and Public Relations. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is serving as founder and campus correspondent of the new Seton Hall chapter. Charlotte was born and raised in New Jersey, and is always proud of her Jersey girl status. She serves on the editorial board of the Seton Hall undergraduate newspaper as Assistant News Editor. One of her biggest goals in life is to be just like Blair Waldorf. Realistically, she aims to someday be a correspondent for the New York Times or Time Magazine. You can always find her talking to someone, it's a guarantee that her iPhone is on her at all times. In her spare time Charlotte loves going to New York City, listening to all kinds of music, running, shopping, travelling, and watching everything on Bravo and TLC. She loves to give advice and is always up for an adventure.