International Student Bryan Yeoh Quan Jin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Full name: Bryan Yeoh Quan Jin

Major: Diplomacy and international relations

Hometown: Penang, Malaysia

Campus Activities: Secretary of Slavic Club, Student ambassador for School of Diplomacy, Student Ambassador for University Undergraduate Admissions, Seton Hall Chamber Orchestra, Basque Research Team 

Year: Sophomore

Although Bryan Yeoh is an international student at Seton Hall University from Malaysia, there are still plenty of ways for him to celebrate Thanksgiving. The Office of International Programs has host family programs for international students. Yeoh will be celebrating Thanksgiving with his friend’s family, just as he did last year.

Her Campus (HC): How does it feel being an international student on SHU’s campus?

Bryan Yeoh (BY): It feels really familiar here. SHU’s campus is pretty much the same size as my high school’s size, maybe a little bigger. But the main thing is I’ve managed to make meaningful connections and friendships here with people. As strange as it sounds, it feels like I’ve managed to make a second home here.

HC: Will you celebrate Thanksgiving?

BY: Yes I will. I celebrated Thanksgiving last year with my friend’s family and I will be doing the same this year.

HC: What options are there for international students during holidays that they don’t celebrate?

BY: SHU’s Office of International Programs has host family programs during these festive seasons to ensure that students have the option to expose themselves in these holidays. Alternatively, some of them will take this opportunity to travel around the country with other friends.

HC: What’s your favorite part about Seton Hall?

BY: The best part about Seton Hall is definitely its intimate class sizes. It really fosters a genuine relationship between the professors and the students.

HC: Why did you decide to go to college in another country?

BY: Malaysian society or rather Asian society is very much biased towards studies in STEM. With my intention to study international relations, I decided an education abroad would serve me well. In addition to that, there are fewer choices of colleges that offer international relations in Malaysia compared to the US.

HC: What’s your best advice for students who go to school abroad?

BY: Research ahead of time and extensively into where you are going to. Dare to venture out and try new things. Be open to differences in culture. Travel if you can and most importantly, have fun!   

HC: Was there ever a time when you felt uncomfortable because you were an international student? If so, can you elaborate?

BY: Nope. Everybody that I’ve met has been friendly and respectful.

Rebecca White is a junior at Seton Hall University in New Jersey where she is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Writing. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her internships she has conducted celebrity and author interviews. Rebecca is a writer for her college newspaper, The Setonian, and is the Arts and Entertainment copy editor. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.