How to Make and Keep New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

“New year, new me!” Ahh… the clock strikes twelve on January 1st, 2016 and my Instagram feed immediately fills up with this infamous saying underneath at least 50 posts of girls popping champagne with their besties. I hate to be the one to say it, but the new year doesn’t mean a new you, just a better you! A new year is the perfect time to sit down and think about all of the bad habits you would like to get rid of, and maybe add a few things to your daily routine. Here are a few suggestions on how to make goals for yourself in 2016 and keep them!

1.     Picture yourself on January 1st, 2017

The first thing you should do when thinking about your resolutions is to picture yourself exactly one year from now. Who do you want to see? What qualities do you want to possess at that point? Don’t just think “10 pounds lighter” or “Blonde”. Instead think of a girl who did over 20 hours of community service, or someone who ran at least 4 times a week. Think of healthy and realistic expectations.

2.     Don’t expect miracles in the first week

Speaking of realistic, don’t get upset or give up within a week when you don’t see results. Hopefully you’re setting great goals for yourself; and those goals are definitely going to take more than 7 days to complete. Just because the process takes a long time, doesn’t mean the end result isn’t worth it! You’ll be so happy knowing you were able to get through such a long journey.

3.     Keep it vague

Try not to make resolutions that are super specific; you may be setting yourself up for failure. Try to have broad goals so that you can achieve them and give 110%. If you are going to make more specific goals, give yourself a realistic time frame. Remember that you’re only human.

4.     Do something that won’t just benefit yourself.

These days all we think about when we think of resolutions are going to the gym more, watching less Netflix, and eating more apples. This year think of ways to help your community. There are so many community service opportunities available especially at Seton Hall.

5.     Tell your friends!!

This tip could seriously make or break your resolution. Tell your friends what you’re planning on doing. Your friends are the people your with the most, so they’ll be a back up to your conscious when it comes to breaking rules. Nuh uh you are NOT getting that Oreo Cheesecake after dinner- how about some tea? 

"If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change toward him. We need not wait to see what others do." -Mahatma Gandhi. I live for vanilla lattes and chocolate covered pretzels. If you don't like the color pink, chances are I don't like you. Future President... and if all else fails, future First Lady.