How to Get Into the Fashion Industry…..Without a Fashion Degree

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The Fashion Industry…..An industry that sparks creative dreams which unfortunately are sometimes crushed… It is not an easy field to get into, and especially not easy for those without a fashion degree… We’ve put together a few tips on how to work your way into the industry, regardless of your degree!

Network, network, network…

Whether it be through social media, attending events and making sure your name is out there, or writing for your schools very own Her Campus, make sure to network who you are and what you do!

Take Advantage of Your Area

Regardless of your location, look around! If you’re not near a big city where opportunities are always appearing, look for little boutiques nearby, photography jobs, or even begin designing on your own!

What Do YOU Want

There’s a million different opportunities within the fashion industry… Whether it be designing, writing, photographing, or marketing…. The list could go on! Find what interests you and then begin researching what places are best for internships, how can your major apply to this…etc.

Attend Events

There’s always small fashion shows and popup shops happening somewhere close to where you are, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM! Dress well, come prepared to show yourself off, and just get to know others in the industry! Connections are key!

Good luck to our fashion gurus (without a fashion major!)

Hello all, my name is Courtney Jenney and I am one of the writers for the Seton Hall Her Campus. I am a Journalism and Public Relations major studying as a full time student at Seton Hall University. I consider myself a lover of all things beautiful; fashion, well-being, beauty, health, art, travel, and music. I was born and raised on Cape Cod in Massachusetts; home to beautiful beach views and royal history. My home is an hour south of Boston; which is why I have a love for all of the New England/Boston sports teams. As passionate for writing as I am, I am striving to entertain others with my writing and provide lively topics for other students around campus! Cheers to the future! XO