Have No Fear Oktoberfest is Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

For all of you Germans out there and beer lovers alike, it’s time to raise your stein! Oktoberfest has officially started! Unfamiliar with the event? Here is all you need to know: 

Oktoberfest is the world’s largest Volksfest (think traveling funfair and beer). Held annually in Munich, Germany, since 1810, this festival typically lasts 16-18 days from mid-September to early October. Over six million people from all over the world come to participate in this festival every year! Due to its influence, Munich is no longer the only place in the world where Oktoberfest is celebrated. Cities all over the world participate in this Bavarian event. This year, the festival kicked off on Saturday, September 17th and ends on October 3rd in Munich, Germany. The event takes place at the Theresienwiese fairgrounds under the infamous tents. There are rides, games, live bands, and delicious food to name a few things…but also the fact that people from all over the world come to partake in this! 

What do people associate most with Oktoberfest? Beer! Only beer that is brewed within the city limits of Munich and conforms to the Reinheitsgebot (specific brewing criteria) can be served at Oktoberfest. In 2013, 7.7 million liters of beer were served during the festival – those beer lovers do take this very seriously! 

If you are reading this, you are most likely not in Munich and pretty bummed that you can’t partake in this iconic cultural event. But, don’t worry! Oktoberfest can be celebrated anywhere, especially major U.S. cities! For instance, Oktoberfest will be celebrated in NYC every Saturday and Sunday from September 17th-October 2nd at the Watermark on South Street with traditional Bavarian food, drink, and events. So if you want a little bit of this famous festival in your life, check it out!

Jillian Lope

Seton Hall

Jillian is a junior attending Seton Hall University and studying Diplomacy and International Relations. She is a traveler, an art lover, and a theatrical soul.