Giving Back: Safe Donating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Christmas music can be heard from the dorms and we know that the holiday season is here. Thanksgiving is right around the corner and it’s the time of giving back. But before you give over your debit card number online, make sure you know the charity that you’re giving to.

All non-profit tax information is public record, so be sure to look up how the charity you want to donate to spends its money. If you go to the Charity Navigator website, you can look and see whether the charity you like spends most of the donated money on staff salary, on giving back, on resources, etc.

It’s important to do research before and find out as much as you can about a charity before doling over the big bucks. You’ll avoid fraudsters who can take advantage of your generosity and avoid charities who spend more money on paying the CEO than the needy.

When you donate online, especially, be aware of phishers and scammers. Charities will always provide detailed information about its identity, mission, costs, and how the donations will be used. If they don’t, it’s probably a scammer.

You should research the name of the company, the address, the telephone number and learn about its reputation. Find out if the charity must be registered in your state by contacting the National Association of State Charity Officials. Other websites, such as Giving Alliance, Charity Watch, or Charity Navigator can let you know whether the charity is trustworthy.

Also, remember to keep a record of all of your donations. Be safe and smart with your money, because if you’re too generous, you may end up getting taken advantage of this holiday season. Safe donating!

Rebecca White is a junior at Seton Hall University in New Jersey where she is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Writing. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her internships she has conducted celebrity and author interviews. Rebecca is a writer for her college newspaper, The Setonian, and is the Arts and Entertainment copy editor. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.