This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Full name: Ethan Kraft

Major: Broadcasting and Sociology

Hometown: Woodstock, Georgia

Campus Activities: Amnesty International, Blue Crew

Year: Senior

As the fall semester comes to a close, seniors are getting ready for their last semester of college, making post-graduation plans, and getting ready for the real world. Ethan Kraft, who has had 4 internships, has been preparing for this since his freshman year.

Her Campus (HC): Why did you choose Seton Hall?

Ethan Kraft (EK): Growing up in the south, I’d never heard of Seton Hall. But my family was moving to Pennsylvania and I wanted to be within reach of them. I went on a tour and fell in love with the size of the student body and the overall environment on campus. 

HC: What’s your favorite part about Seton Hall?

EK: It’s big enough that I don’t know every person that I walk past, but small enough for me to see someone I know every time I’m on campus. Even when I don’t know everyone on campus, it still feels like a tight-knit and welcoming community. I also really believe that a lot of the resources available to students are amazing, like the Career Center, CAPS, and the Academic Resource Center. 

HC: How does it feel being a senior?

EK: I’m excited to graduate. I’ve enjoyed my time at Seton Hall, but it’s time for this little bird to spread his wings and fly into the world of unemployment and debt. In all seriousness, it did kind of fly by. I still don’t feel like I’m in my fourth year here, but they tell me it’s true. 

HC: How are you preparing for your first job and post-graduation?

EK: I’ve been doing a lot of informational interviews with people in the TV industry, as well as keeping in touch with some of my intern friends who now have entry-level jobs. Talking to people in my network has been helpful to guide me in where I want to apply and which jobs I want to apply to, as well as giving me a better opportunity to talk directly with hiring managers, rather than relying on an online application portal. Otherwise, I’m really enjoying my last few months as an intern and working hard to leave a good impression on the people there.

HC: Where do you see yourself after graduation?

EK: Immediately after graduation, I’ll probably still be on campus, hoping I can see some of my friends from different colleges graduate at one of our many wonderful ceremonies scattered throughout the day. I love a good Monday graduation, one of my favorite traditions at Seton Hall! After that, I’ll probably move back to Atlanta or stay in New York. I hope to work in the television industry in some capacity, but I’ve also been thinking about digital marketing and stuff of that nature. The television industry is changing a lot, so it’s hard to see exactly where I’ll fit in when all’s said and done, but the dream would be producing or writing a show in entertainment. I also need a family at some point, or I will die. 

HC: What is one thing you wish you did in college that you didn’t?

EK: I wish I’d gotten more into basketball earlier on, because I do love it, I just haven’t time to really dive in. Plus, if I had paid more attention to our team, Jess McGuire (Class of 2015) couldn’t have called me out in a huge GroupMe of interns for being a fair weather fan. Her message got like 15 likes and I’m clearly not over it. 

HC: What are your goals for this year?

EK: My first priority is figuring out where I’m living after college, but I suspect that’ll come down to where the jobs are. I’m really hoping to graduate with honors, so as long as I can fight off the senioritis for a few more months, I’m going to do that. I also just want to spend the last few months here spending time with the people that have made the last four years great. Of course, all of our lives are going to change drastically in May, so it’s important to me that I enjoy my time with friends while we’re all still together. 

HC: What is your best advice for freshmen who want to follow your path?

EK: Make the most of the things SHU has to offer, from professional connections to the Career Center. I went to the Career Center freshman year, and I was able to get an internship as early as sophomore year. I’d always dreamt of working for NBC, and I ended up getting to spend three years there, with internships at CNBC, Late Night with Seth Meyers, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, and Saturday Night Live, where I currently intern with Weekend Update. College is about your career, so don’t wait until senior year to start thinking about building a network. At the same time, be present on campus and make sure you enjoy college. We’re so young, and these years are our last opportunity for fun before the real world hits us like a sack of bricks. 

Rebecca White is a junior at Seton Hall University in New Jersey where she is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Writing. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her internships she has conducted celebrity and author interviews. Rebecca is a writer for her college newspaper, The Setonian, and is the Arts and Entertainment copy editor. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.