Dream It, Achieve It, Share It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

When dreams become reality it’s important to share with others how you got there, and offer tips and tricks to help others with the same aspirations in life. Landing a dream internship or job may seem like an impossible and daunting task, but it can be motivational and real when you go after it full-speed. Here are my five tips for how I landed my dream internship at Seventeen Magazine.

1.    Seek out shadowing or field observation opportunities

In my News Reporting course, I was required to do a field observation at a media source of my choice. With years of subscriptions and hoping that I would someday work there, I contacted someone from Seventeen’s team asking if I could do my field observation there and she said yes! A dream come true. I definitely think that going into my shadowing day with a professional mindset allowed me to set a good impression, and led to encouragement for me to apply for an internship at Seventeen

2.    Take advantage of the Career Center’s Navigator tool

The Navigator tool continues to be an effective research tool for when it comes to seeking out internship opportunities. Every time I access the tool, I come across internship opportunities that I didn’t know existed at companies that I already love. This tool makes it super easy to upload a resume and your profile is matched to recommend internship opportunities tailored to you.

3.    Network. Network. Network.

Don’t be afraid to strike up conversation with others everywhere you go. Last fall I attended a concert at the TODAY Show and spoke with two teens that were in line behind me, who ended up being interns that semester at Seventeen. I let them know about my dreams of one day interning and working there, and they gave me tips and advice on how they landed their internships. You never know who you’ll meet, whether interns from your dream job or professionals, so be ready with an elevator pitch to make a positive lasting impression. 

4.    Attend Career Fairs

Career Fairs may appear to be nerve-wracking, but they serve as the perfect opportunity to get your foot in the door at a major company. This one-on-one meeting with a professional in your desired field allows them to get a first impression of you, and put a face to the name. As always, dress professional and bring lots of résumés!

5.    Speaking of résumés, build them up with versatile experiences!

I’ve been told that my extensive experiences as a college student in both journalism and public relations will set me apart when applying for internships, and eventually a career. Since I will be graduating in just one year I am building my résumé and experience in both fields. My journalistic and editorial experience highlight my writing skills, something even public relations professionals seek out. My social media experience and knowledge of the web will help me in a journalism field, as everything has become more digitalized, and as social media is booming. Whether you’re a communications student or not, seek out experiences that make you versatile even if that means getting experience from slightly different fields. Fields and career areas tend to overlap so having versatile experiences will set you apart from other recent college grads.

Leah Carton

Seton Hall

Leah Carton is currently a junior at Seton Hall University majoring in Public Relations. She is the News Copy Editor and staff writer for The Setonian and manages the Seton Hall Her Campus Instagram and Twitter accounts.