Campus Celeb: Shaina Daniels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Name: Shaina Daniels

Year: Senior

Major: Elementary Special Education and Liberal Studies with a minor in English

Hometown: Coltsneck, NJ

With the season of giving right around the corner, we begin to reflect on all that we are thankful for, as well as what we can do to give back to our community. Seton Hall senior Shaina Daniels makes it a priority to help those who need it most all year round. Shaina sat down with Her Campus to talk to us about her inspiration behind all of the remarkable work she does to give back to society.

Her Campus (HC): What keeps you involved on campus?

Shaina Daniels (SD): For the past three years I have been a resident assistant, which gives me many opportunities to serve and to be a leader by helping residents on campus. I am currently the president of Alpha Delta Chi, which is a national Christian sorority. I am also a member of NRHH (National Residence Hall Honorary), which is the top 10 percent of leaders on campus. We recognize different students and faculty members and organizations for the work that they do on campus. I am a member of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars as well.

HC: These orgs contribute a lot to the community, what do you do for community service?

SD: As a resident assistant we create five programs per semester, and one of our program initiatives is a serve program, so anything related to community service. This semester my serve program is called A Helping Hand, and we will be creating chemotherapy baskets for those going through chemotherapy. We’ve collected donations from the residence halls and on November 18, we will be creating the baskets as a program so residence can fulfill their service hours as well.

In regards to Alpha Delta Chi, our main mission is to serve others. We’ve served at Seton Hall Weekend, face-painting for the kids and making them laugh. Every semester we volunteer with Relief Bus, where we help them make soup and hot chocolate, pack the bus with food and bags of hygiene products and drive over to Port Authority and give out these necessities to the homeless and anyone else who needs it. We serve them food and talk to them, get people to laugh and make them feel loved.

I also am hosting an event which Alpha Delta Chi is co-sponsoring, called BNAT, which stands for Butt-Numb-A-Thon. It’s a six-hour movie marathon. In order to attend, you must provide either $5 or a toy, which will both go to Alpha Delta Chi’s annual service event called Operation: Christmas Child. For this event, items such as toys, hygiene supplies, school supplies and crafts are collected and packed into shoe boxes, then wrapped for Christmas and sent to different locations for children who may not be able to receive presents on Christmas otherwise.

HC: Do you have any favorite experiences with your service?

SD: I would have to say that Relief Bus is my favorite experience serving. It’s definitely a humbling experience to see these people’s faith and how joyful they are, regardless of their circumstances. It was a little challenging in the beginning, just because you’re put out of your comfort zone by speaking to people you don’t really know. Despite not knowing them, we tell them that they are loved and share the word of God with them. But after my first experience, I fell in love with it.

HC: What does philanthropy mean to you?

SD: Philanthropy can have a lot of definitions, but it’s not just about doing service to get a set amount of hours or because someone told you to do it, but I think it goes deeper than that. I believe that philanthropy is a good opportunity to get out into the community and to serve others and love one another. One of the greatest ways that we can “love thy neighbor” is to serve them, whether that be through something like relief bus, or just taking the time out of my day to talk to my residents to make sure that they are okay both in their home life and in school, just being that resource for them. I think philanthropy is more than just doing community service, love is definitely one of the most important things when it comes to that.

HC: Who or what inspires you?

SD: My mother definitely inspires me. I live in a single parent home, and just to see how selfless she is is very inspiring. She is always providing for me and my siblings, whether that be working extra hours, or driving back to Seton Hall if I forgot something at home. She is someone I look up to because of her great work ethic and her love for other people, she really puts her all into everything that she does. She is always welcoming and makes everyone feel loved and cared for. Throughout the years I watched the way she cares, and her selflessness is very motivating and encouraging, and I want to make sure I carry that out in the present and in the future.

HC: What piece of advice above all else would you give to your residents, or freshman in general?

SD: Definitely to stay focused. Sometimes in life there are a lot of obstacles or challenges, but always remember why you’re here at college. Keep that in your mind and allow that to motivate you. I would also recommend staying involved on campus and finding what they’re passionate about. Really just find an organization or club that provides different events or services that show your passions. If you’re passionate about something, a great result will come out of it.

HC: And finally, do you have a motto that you like to live by?

SD: I have two mottos that I like to live by. The first is “I can, and I will”. Even though we might come through different trials or hardships, I believe because of God’s grace we can overcome it. When I’m going through a hard season in life, I think of Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength”. This goes along with my other motto “in Christ alone”, because I believe if I didn’t keep my faith, I wouldn’t be here. It keeps me motivated.

Jacquelyn (Jaci) is a Senior at Seton Hall University with a major in Communication Studies and hopes to go into advertising. A majority of Jaci's free time is spent with her sorority Alpha Delta Chi, of which she is Vice President. Any other free time she has is usually spent crafting, reading cheesy romance novels, and spending quality time with her family, friends, boyfriend and cat...mostly her cat.