Campus Celeb: Jordan James

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The holidays are upon us so that and that means two things: Finals are over (praise the Gods) and students are heading home. We all can’t wait to be with family, friends and indulge in some good eating. Not every student can always go home though, and no one knows this better than Jordan James. The Ohio native lives 10 hours away, so going home for breaks is not a luxury she always. Her campus sat down with her to see what she does for herself on breaks away from home.

(Her Campus): Most breaks are correlated with the holidays, as an out of state student who can’t always go home, how do you celebrate in your dorm?

(Jordan James): I buy a lot of food! In my family the center of a lot of holidays involves eating with my family. Although I may not be able to be home with them, I can still enjoy a nice meal.

(HC): You have to cook for us then! But besides having a meal, is there anything you do to your dorm to get in the holiday spirit?

(JJ): My entire dorm/apartment is not decorated. But, I do decorate my room. I have yellow sheets to inspire happiness, a zebra print comforter to add something funky, and of course pops of pink and green for my sorority AKA. I also have art work from my younger siblings and inspirational notes and quotes from friends and family.

(HC): It sounds like you do a lot to keep yourself positive, are there every any times you feel homesick? If so what do you do?

(JJ): Everyone feels homesick at one point or another. When I feel homesick the first thing I do is call my mom or my grandpa. I am very close to them, so it doesn’t take much for them to cheer me up. Then I turn on some of my favorite songs and start my countdown until I’m home.

(HC): Wow, it sounds like you have a great support system. But being away so much there has to be little things that have become your own. Are there any traditions you’ve created for yourself over the years?

(JJ): I have a Sunday routine that I do without fail. I wash my hair, do a facemask and sugar scrub, play music, and get myself organized for the week. It helps me remember to take care of myself and sets a productive tone for the week.

(HC): Ok, OK so you’ve mastered the art of being far away from home we see. Is there any advice you’d like to give to that high school senior who is about to go to an out of state school next year?

(JJ): My advice would be once you leave, always remember the reasons why you went away for school to keep yourself focused. Check in frequently with the people that keep you grounded, and have fun!

Crystal Jones is an upstate New York native that skips to her own rhythm. Ms. Jones’s hard work ethic and positive attitude allows her to stand out amongst her competitors. Crystal is currently a senior and will be graduating this upcoming May 2016 from one of New Jersey’s leading institutes, Seton Hall University. She is pursuing a degree in Public Relations and minoring in graphic design. She is extremely passionate about art and the creative process that enables artist to take simple ideas to the next level. Between classes and a part-time job, Crystal is the president of Seton Hall University’s PRSSA chapter, an Adhoc. to Seton Hall’s Student Government Association PR Committee and a blogger for Seton Hall’s Her Campus chapter. Crystal’s dream job is to work of a fashion and production company where she can utilize her creative abilities. Crystal hopes to “inspire underprivileged young men and women to attend college and follow their biggest dreams”.