This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Meet the first president of the recently colonized Alpha Omicron Pi (AOII) chapter at Seton Hall. Senior Erin Lott had the opportunity to speak with us now with her term ending at the end of this month.

Name: Erin Lott

Year: Senior

Major: Mathematics

Minor: Business Administration

Hometown: Somerville, N.J.

Erin, at first coming into college knowing nothing about Greek life, decided her junior year it was time to be a part of a unique opportunity. She, along with 70 other women, colonized a new sorority into the Greek Life community at Seton Hall University.

She said to Her Campus how it was the best decision she could have made at this point in her life. From the start, Lott wanted to get involved in leadership in the organization. 

“It is an amazing and unique opportunity to be able to build the foundation of the chapter and the start of a legacy, and lead our chapter to success during our first year on campus!”

When deciding to run for President, Erin said she had a lot of support and encouragement from her sisters. She said, “It was ultimately my love for the organization and my colony experience that led me to make the decision for myself. I had to make some other sacrifices and give up some of my other involvement on campus, but it has been the most exciting experience of my college career thus far.”

Since being elected, she has learned more on what is like to be a leader. She says there are many different aspects to it. Some of them being a healthy balance of gaining respect from your peers while also being down-to-earth, understanding and approachable.

“As President, I try to set a positive example for my sisters. Sometimes it is difficult to be a President while also a friend- I have been challenged and put in awkward situations. I have learned so much about myself and grown in the process. I think I have learned by now how to balance these two roles and am keeping up with it pretty well.”

This is not the only organization Lott is involved with on campus. She also is a member of the National Mathematics Honor Society, Pi Mu Epsilon, and is involved in the Leadership Fellows Program. When not on campus in class or meetings, she is also interning in Florham Park. Prior, Erin has been a Resident Assistant for a year and a half, and has been in the Seton Hall Pep Band. 

HC (Her Campus): What would you say was the most rewarding part of your job?

EL (Erin Lott): Some of the most rewarding moments during the past year definitely include last spring’s recruitment and our first annual Spike Out Arthritis event in October. Recruitment weekend was so exhausting, but seeing our newest members and their excitement on bid day was all worth it and brought me to tears. It was also rewarding to see the success of our Spike Out Arthritis event after months of planning and preparation. Overall, seeing the strength of our sisterhood shine through in small ways is the most rewarding and makes it all worth it. When a sister is in need of help, whether it is help writing a paper or when a family member is sick and she needs our support, it is amazing to see how much we truly care about one another. I would do anything for my sisters!

HC: How does it feel to be the first president of AOII now that term is almost over?

EL: It is definitely a bitter sweet feeling. The past year has been quite the learning experience for me. I have learned so many things about myself and have learned how to deal with plenty of unique and challenging situations. I have made so many amazing memories with my sisters that I know will last a lifetime. I am excited to see what the next president will do with the chapter!

HC: What do your future plans entail after graduation?

EL: After I graduate in May, I will be staying here at Seton Hall for an extra year for the Stillman School of Business’ 5-year MBA program. I will be concentrating in Management, and I look forward to holding a Graduate Assistant position and various internships that will hopefully lead into a career!

Amanda Boyer

Seton Hall

Amanda Boyer is a senior public relations major at Seton Hall University. She is the Social media manager of the official school newspaper, the Setonian, as well as is a contributor to CupidsPulse.com and TheTaiLife.com which will be launching in Mid-April. Also in her junior and senior year she is the reporter for her sorority Alpha Omicron Pi’s international magazine, The To Dragma. When Amanda is not writing, she enjoys binge watching One Tree Hill and Gilmore Girls and probably can recite every word. This country music lover would never be caught dead without her camera and her iced passion tea in her hands. Amanda aspires to work in corporate communications after graduation in December 2015.
Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.