Campus Celeb: Danielle Schroeder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Nursing

Hometown: Wrigleyville, Illinois 

Hobbies: Women’s Volleyball team

This week’s Campus Celeb is Danielle Schroeder, or Dani, as her friends call her. She is an outside hitter from Chicago, more specifically Wrigleyville. Her Campus sat down with Danielle to discuss the impact that her athletic career has had on her studies, and how she manages such a busy schedule!

“I would say the best thing about being a student athlete is all of the support we are offered through our coaches, teammates, advisors, and even our fans. Without these people I would not be the person I am today since they help me every single day of being a student athlete.”  Schroeder has practice every day, whether it is doing drills or lifting weights in the gym.  In addition to this, Schroeder feels the stress of entering her third year of nursing school, a major that is known for its rigor and intensity.  When asked how she is challenged as both an athlete and nursing student, Schroeder says, “I’m pretty sure it is the hardest thing I have ever done, even just being one [athlete or nursing student] is extremely hard. The hardest part is travelling when I know I have multiple exams and projects due in one week. But being a student athlete has taught me how to manage my time so it has become very do-able, I just have to be confident in myself.”

Schroeder has known for quite some time that nursing was her calling. “I guess I’m one of the lucky ones because I always knew what I wanted to be, but at a young age I wanted to be a doctor. When I got older and started to shadow people inside hospitals, and even talking to others who were doctors, nursing, etc. I realized that I loved all the experiences nurses would tell me and my parents really helped me realize that I love to care for others and that nursing would be the best choice for me. I would always love what I am doing.”

Her Campus asked if the skills she has acquired in volleyball have contributed to her future as a nurse, to which Schroeder responded, “Oh for sure, being able to work under pressure is probably a really great quality to have especially since I am thinking about working in the ER or ICU. And working as a team (volleyball) will help me as a future nurse because all nurses work together daily. But I think my most important quality I have learned from volleyball that will help me as a nurse is my determination.”

As the interview drew to a close, we asked Danielle what the most valuable thing she has received from SHU.  “I think the most important thing I’ve gotten from Seton Hall are all the amazing people I’ve met here. Not only in the athletic department but also from the Nursing department. Without these people I wouldn’t be the person I am today because they have helped shaped me into the person I am and who I want to be.”

With the Thanksgiving holiday quickly approaching, we asked Schroeder what she looks forward to most! “I’m super excited for the Thanksgiving dinner I help prepare for my family and close friends. I would have to say I am most thankful for being able to be spend my life with so many people that I love.”

Nicole Floyd

Seton Hall

Nicole is a Sociology and Catholic Studies double major at Seton Hall, and she is also a member of the school's Honors Program. When she is not studying or writing papers in the library (aka procrastinating), she can be found scouting cuties in the caf, binge watching Netflix (Bones & Friends being the most recent victims), drinking copious amounts of coffee, and laughing uncontrollably for no apparent reason. Down the road, Nicole would like to conduct research and create documentaries exposing a variety of societal issues that have yet to be addressed in order to make better the lives of those around her, and she will do so with her faithful cup of coffee in hand.