Black Solidarity Conference Profile: Adol L. Mayen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Black Solidarity Conference

Name: Adol L. Mayen            

Hometown: Syracuse, NY     

Year: 2018

Last month 45 Seton Hall Students ventured to Yale University for the 22nd Annual Black Solidarity Conference. The theme of this year’s conference was “A New Dawn, A New Day: Promoting and Protecting Blackness in the Digital Age.”  Students from across the country attended discussions, panels and networking events at the conference. Adol Mayen has attended the conference twice, read about her experiences at the conference this year!

Her Campus (HC): Why did you join the Black Student Union?

Adol Mayen (AM): I joined BSU because I was looking for more friends on campus that not only looked like me, but also identified with my black experience on this campus.

HC: What was your favorite talk(s) that you went to?

AM: My favorite talk was the mental health one. It really put into perspective the importance of mental health within the black community.

HC: What is the best advice you heard from any of the panelists or solo speakers?

AM: The best advice I heard at the BSC at Yale was that if you want to see more representation on your campus, you must go out and search for it by any means necessary. Moreover, not all demands happen overnight so you must learn to be patient while maintaining a level of diligence.

HC: What interesting topics did you discuss with your Ujima groups?

AM: As a Ujima Leader this year, I was blessed with the opportunity of leading the discussions which really showed me a different perspective of the BSC at Yale. Within my group, we discussed activism at our own campuses, particularly in light of the current racial climate of the United States. In addition to that, we delved into the black social scenes at our campuses, particularly focusing on safe spaces. At first, it seemed random but as we got into the conversation, I learned from my group that many young college students share the same feeling of limitation of places they can express themselves socially. More so, I learned from my group that it is particularly hard for students of color to engage in the college student social scene when our campuses do not cater to our cultural backgrounds.

HC: Can you think of ways the conference could improve?

AM: I would have loved more interaction with other colleges instead of listening to people speak to us all day. Personally, I learn more off interacting with people in similar situations so it would have benefitted us to have more social settings besides the talent show and after party.

HC: Figuratively speaking, what did you bring back from the conference to Seton Hall?

AM: After the conference, I brought a stronger understanding of my purpose as a black student on this campus. More specifically, as a student leader a defined focus on creating more spaces for students of color, like myself that may not exist on this campus.

HC: Did you get the opportunity to network with any professionals or students from other schools?

AM: Yes! I got the opportunity to meet so many interesting people that to this moment, I am still fan-girling over. For example, I had the opportunity to meet Jay Ellis from HBO’s Insecure. I low-key almost passed out while taking a picture with him. After the Power of Black Twitter panel discussion, I had the opportunity to meet April Reign who started the #OscarSoWhite and various social media pioneers. Lastly, at the Mental Health panel, I had the opportunity to meet a campus advisor from the, The Steve Fund, an organization that supports the mental health and well-being for students of color.

HC: What aspects of the conference did you enjoy the most?

AM: As an Ujima Group Leader, I had the honor of attending a VIP reception with Opal Tometi, the co-creator of the #BlackLivesMatter movement, before her speech at the keynote dinner. Words cannot begin to describe the excitement and honor I felt meeting her and later hearing her words of encouragement. Definitely one for the books!

My name is Margarita Williamson and I am a junior Journalism major from beautiful Southern California. I have a passion for ranch dressing and I love country music, Netflix, and reading. I support all things Taylor Swift and will defend One Direction till the end. My knack for investigating is top notch. I aspire to attend law school in the hopes of one day becoming a legal commentator.