nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ask SHUrly – Advice on Being Organized

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

This weeks ASK SHUrly question: Organization

“Hi there! So, I’ve been having trouble recently trying to keep up with what seems like a million and one deadlines. It’s the end of the semester and I’m trying not to get overwhelmed…I’m still getting used to my school year splitting into two semesters (since I graduated high school). Do you have any tips for how to stay organized, especially during the end of the year? Or even how to organize your planner and whatnot?”

–O, freshman

Dear O,

First, congrats on almost finishing your first year of college! The transition from high school to college can be quite an experience. As a senior now, I definitely know how stressful the end of the semester can be with finals and projects. I know how hard it gets trying to keep deadlines, events and personal things in order. I love your question, mainly because I am a planner addict and I have come to learn there are so many different ways to organize your life. You’ve definitely come to the right gal!

Planners are great for organizing especially for balancing your school, work and social life. I personally learned a lot about planning efficiently through YouTube videos and I’m not ashamed to admit it (LOL). I know myself pretty well and many of the times I will adapt it based on my own personal preferences like style and convenience. Here’s a video I watched that helped me organize my exams throughout the year:

Also, if you’re looking on ways to plan for the new year, check this video out on how to start a planner:

If you’re on the more artistic, creative side then I suggest you should try bullet journaling. If you don’t know what it is, the definition from the official Bullet Journal website says it “is a customizable and forgiving organization system. It can be your to-do list, sketchbook, notebook, and diary, but most likely, it will be all of the above. It will teach you to do more with less.”

This is what I prefer when it comes to organizing because it is entirely customizable. You can make it as simple or as intricate as you want. For example, check out this video on starting your very own bullet journal:

It all depends on what works best for you. Also, don’t forget that you can customize these plans to suit your own needs! I prefer bullet journaling simply because it’s easier for me to include random lists along with my monthly planning. It’s also a great stress reliever once you get the hang of it. I also add art, stickers and washi tape, which I love because it adds my own personal touch. I find this method the most convenient for my lifestyle, but as I said, it’s entirely up to you.

The last thing I’ll leave you with is that it’s also important to constantly check your planner! I know this might sound like common sense, but it is easy to forget with tons of things happening at once. I have to make sure to check my planner enough times a day or else I’ll easily miss something and feel stressed out when things don’t go as planned. Don’t forget to check it and update as much as you can.

I hope that this has inspired you to try new things or help you with your current situation. I love watching YouTube videos on organization because there really are many different ways to go about it. There is an entire community of organizers and planner addicts across social media and on YouTube. Trust me, you will feel inspired by them and learn a lot!

Sincerely,

SHUrly

Marianne Datu is a senior journalism student at Seton Hall University. She started writing for her high school newspaper during her senior year and was also named editor-in-chief. Her love for journalism stems from her innate desire to write and learn new things. During her time at SHU, she was a staff writer for the school's newspaper, The Setonian, for two years and is currently a staff writer for Spoon University. Her goal is to become an entertainment reporter and work for publications like The New Yorker, New York Times and Refinery29. In her free time, she's either watching Younger reruns, listening to Frank Ocean, bulletjournaling, or nose-deep in a good book. 
Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.