9/11: 15 Years Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

I can remember that morning like it was yesterday, and I was only five years old. I had actually missed the first day of kindergarten because my family and I had been travelling back to Upstate New York only one day before. I remember my dad picking me up from school—even though I had no idea why. I remember him asking me if I had any questions. I remember him constantly staring at the sky as we drove home. I remember finally seeing what had happened on the TV when we got home. But mostly, I remember him and my mom just crying and holding my sister and me, incessantly telling us that they loved us.

September 11th shook this country like we had never felt before. 15 years later, I still feel the somber effects of the 2,996 innocent lives that were so tragically taken from us that Tuesday morning. And although I can still feel the rage and confusion as to how something so evil could even begin to exist in this world, I think about how lucky not only I am, but how lucky this country is.

I have never been so proud to be a young American than I have in the past 15 years. This country and our fellow Americans chose to stand together for what we believe in, and more importantly, to honor those 2,996 heroes and the ones that we are still blessed enough to have with us today.

We may still feel the pain of that morning, and some of us feel it every day. But just know that wherever you are, you are not alone. Thank you to all of those who have served and continue to serve this nation. Thank you to all the first responders. Thank you to all our volunteers. Thank you to all you brave Americans, we will never forget you. United we will forever stand.

A spunky and quirky Public Relations, Journalism, and Spanish Major at Seton Hall University and sister of Alpha Gamma Delta. A Syracuse native-turned-Jersey Girl. Slightly obsessed with John Mayer, my dog, and anything sparkly. Moving to the City and never looking back...