sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Reasons to Get Excited for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Fall is arguably the best season of the year and the best holiday of the year takes place on All Hallows Eve. A holiday which originated 2,000 years ago, Halloween is one of the only commercialized holidays that isn’t centered on exclusion, whether it be the exclusion of religion, race, ethnicity, etc.

Halloween straddles the line between fall and winter, life and death, and celebration and superstition.  According to History.com, it began as a Celtic end-of-summer festival during which people felt especially close to deceased relatives and friends. People would set places at the dinner table for these spirits, leave treats on the doorsteps, and light candles to help loved ones find their way back to the spirit world.

In a number of countries, as the days grow shorter and the nights get colder, people usher in the winter season with gatherings, bonfires, costumes, and sweet treats. It is believed that during this time, the boundary between the living and the dead is blurred, and ghosts return to the Earth.

As a commercialized holiday today, Halloween is celebrated in a number of ways and these are the top 6 reasons to get excited for Halloween:

It’s a holiday that brings people together. Whether you’re watching scary movies with your best friends or going to costume party, people love getting together to celebrate this time of year.

Candy. Who doesn’t love eating candy and desserts with their closest friends? Forget about your insecurities and that bikini bod, and indulge a little with your best friends.

Tradition. Halloween is centered on the past and Halloween is the best Fall tradition there is. People have been celebrating the time of the harvest and this time of year for thousands of years and is a tradition that has continued through the centuries.

The decorations and crafts are the best. This is a fun time to unwind, craft with your good friends, and put on that spooky playlist.

Costumes. Letting loose and dressing up is one of the best parts of Halloween. You get to pretend to be someone else for a day and push all your worries away.

Learning about other cultures and stories. During this time of year, you can look up the origins of Halloween and look at how each country celebrates this time of year. Whether it’s the Day of the Dead in Mexico, or All Hallows Eve in ancient Celtic regions, each country and culture has a way of celebrating and remembering the past.

Rebecca White is a junior at Seton Hall University in New Jersey where she is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Writing. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her internships she has conducted celebrity and author interviews. Rebecca is a writer for her college newspaper, The Setonian, and is the Arts and Entertainment copy editor. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.