5 Things to do in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Going to school at Seton Hall has its advantages, like living a 45 minute train ride away from one of the greatest cities in the Northeast. New York City has so many fun and exciting activities happening all the time that it is definitely worth the visit at some point in your next four years at Seton Hall. And let’s be honest, is it really worth being this close to the city if you’re not going to visit? Here are a list of places and activities that are worth checking out whenever you have a day to kill that won’t break the bank.

1. Central Park

Honestly visiting Central Park could be a whole day’s trip because there are just so many different places to visit within it. There is the Alice in Wonderland 11-foot statue that is definitely Instagram worthy, especially when you can get a picture with the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire cat. The Wollman Memorial Rink is also worth a visit no matter the season. In the summer months it’s where you’ll find the Victorian Gardens Amusement Park, while during the winter months it is an ice rink. Of course there are various tours through the park that you can go on, or you can just walk around and explore on your own with no real destination in mind. 

2. The Metropolitan Museum of Art

There are so many museums in New York City, especially art museums that it’s hard to pick just one that you must visit, but if you’re near Central Park and you want to check out an art museum The Met is close by. There is a suggested student ticket fee of $12, but you can pay however much you want. The Met has an overwhelming amount of exhibitions spanning from “American Indian Art from the Fenimore Art Museum: The Thaw Collection” to “Talking Pictures: Camera-Phone Conversations Between Artists.” With such a wide range of exhibits, The Met is definitely worth the trip. 

3. The Highline

This is a 1.5 mile long public park that stretches over the streets of West Side Manhattan. From the High Line amazing view of Manhattan and the Hudson River can be seen. Besides gardens, there are changing art exhibits, food vendors, and picnic areas. There are many features like the Diller – von Furstenberg Sundeck and Water Feature, which has lounge chairs along the pathway. 

4. Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock Observation Deck

An enormous ice rink, many beautiful statues, and various shops and restaurants makes this destination a must-see. In the winter time, the Rockefeller Christmas Tree illuminates the Center. You should definitely expect crowds of people, no matter the season, as it is a huge tourist area. On the Observation Deck is another Instagram worthy picture of the cityscape of Manhattan. There is just so much to do around the Rockefeller Center that it could be another full day trip. 

5. Times Square

Times Square is definitely one of the biggest tourist traps in NYC, but that doesn’t stop it from being a very popular place to visit. There are some of the biggest name brand stores that can be found along the streets of Times Square. The Disney, Sephora, and M&M stores are just some of many that line these streets and are worth the look even if you don’t have the money to buy anything. Not to mention that there are tons of restaurants to be found within Times Square, some of which won’t drain your wallet. There is so much to experience, see, and explore in Times Square that it can take up at least half a day. 

Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.