5 Sights to See Near SHU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

We lucky pirates have access to so much, being only 14 miles away from the Big Apple the possibilities for fun are endless. The beautiful town of South Orange is full of hidden treasures as well! We’ve listed the top 5 things you have to see before you end this semester!

1. The Highline in NYC

The highline is an old railroad track that was originally built in 1934. Being one of the oldest railroads in America, the Friends of the High Line Foundation saw its great importance in American history. They were able to preserve the structure by creating a 1.45 mile long walkway. The walkway is free and open all year round. There are restaurants lining the whole walkway if you want to stop off and grab a bite to eat. The High Line also runs activities daily, such as stargazing (Tuesdays through October) meditation, and even boxing classes! It’s a great way to save money and see some of the most beautiful sights the city has to offer.

2.  Metropolitan Museum of Art

Every Gossip Girl will want to make a stop and take a picture on the famous Met steps, but definietly try to bring the fun inside! The Met has incredible exhibits changing weekly. Tickets are only twenty-five dollars each and you get skip the line! One of the featured exhibits right now is a rooftop garden overlooking the city. It will be open until November first, so get there ladies before time runs out! Xoxo, HC.

3. South Orange Performing Arts Center (SOPAC)

SOPAC is an amazing place to go if you’re looking for any kind of entertainment! Their shows range from dance, to Jazz and Blues concerts, and theater performances. Students get discounted tickets on everything including movies! Make sure you take advantage of this amazing theater that’s only a 10 minute walk from campus.

4. The One World Observatory

The One World Observatory is a new building built in honor of the World Trade Center attacks in September of 2001. The views of the skyline are said to be the best in the city, and the building itself is brand new with the latest technology. There are many activities, shows, and restaurants within the building. To watch the full video on the building and all of its exhibits you can visit: https://oneworldobservatory.com/experience/.  

5.  A Broadway show

Set your sights on 42nd street! So many shows are playing daily, and some you can even get with a student discount. Some of the biggest shows playing right now include Aladdin, The Book of Mormon and Jersey Boys. It’s always fun to take a break from studying and take a trip into the world of music and dancing.

No matter where you go this year, have fun and be safe! We only have four years to take advantage of all the opportunities surrounding us, so let’s get on it! 

"If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change toward him. We need not wait to see what others do." -Mahatma Gandhi. I live for vanilla lattes and chocolate covered pretzels. If you don't like the color pink, chances are I don't like you. Future President... and if all else fails, future First Lady.