This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

If you’re wondering whom your newest woman crush Wednesday could be, look no further.

Tavi Gevinson: the coolest eighteen year-old to ever exist.

At eighteen, Tavi is the editor-in-chief of her own magazine, Rookie Mag, is a contributing editor for Garage Mag, has interviewed celebrities like Aubrey Plaza and Lorde, has acted in multiple short films, has been to multiple fashion weeks, has been commissioned to write for magazines such as Harpers Bazaar, has appeared in a PSA for the Obama Campaign in regards to women’s rights, has given her own Ted Talk at age fifteen, and is currently going to be starring in a new Broadway Show next to Michael Cera (phew!). If this isn’t enough to wrap your head around, keep in mind that this all started because of Tavi’s fashion blog that she made in 2008 when she was eleven years old, Rookie Style.

Tavi Gevinson has been a pop culture woman icon from the age of eleven, while her small fashion blog would hit over 30,000 views. By 2011, this blog turned into one of the most popular magazines for young women, Rookie Mag. In fact, Tavi Gevinson was named in Forbes Magazine “30 under 30” in 2011, 2012, and 2013, and featured in press such as Vanity Fair, New York Mag, The New Yorker, Nylon Mag, Longform, T Mag, Bullett, The Colbert Report, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, and The New York Times.

The best part of it all? This all started because Tavi wanted a place for young girls to see strong females, because she couldn’t find that anywhere herself. Tavi’s career was built on the empowerment of women, and she has stayed true to this principle since her career took off at eleven years-old. She is incredibly relatable, and an amazing female inspiration who proves to us all that you don’t need to be a “super woman,” like the superhuman women portrayed in the movies, in order to be empowered and strong. Tavi is a teen girl who devotes her life to doing things for other teen girls, and if any of you are anything like me, being a teen girl (especially in high school) was one of the most confusing times of your life, and Tavi gets that. As cliché as it sounds, she truly is just like the rest of us, minus the super cool career and being the editor in chief of your own magazine, and stuff.

I suppose what I’m trying to say, is this: Tavi is the embodiment of a strong, independent, young woman. She is exactly someone that we all should look up to. 

Check out Tavi’s TedxTeen Talk here: 

And her magazine here: 

http://www.rookiemag.com/

Aspiring journalist. New Haven, CT / Seattle, WA