Reasons Winter Quarter is the Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

We’re officially halfway through the 2014/2015 school year, but that doesn’t stop the woes of Winter Quarter from taking over. Of all four quarters at Seattle University, Winter Quarter is without a doubt the worst of all of them. While there may be good parts of the winter, they’re arguably overshadowed by the difficulties of the quarter. What’s so hard about Winter Quarter, you might ask? Well…

Everything is cold. The cold is nonstop and it’s so rarely sunny that we don’t even get the benefit of a little vitamin D when we’re outside.

It’s the shortest quarter of the regular academic year, so everything is kind of crammed into the measly ten weeks. Every test is a midterm and every class is “not to be missed”.

SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) hits so hard in the winter. Even though we know we’re supposed to be in class, it can be way too hard to get out of bed sometimes. Happy Lamps are expensive and CAPS is always full. What’s a poor, sad student to do?

Coming out of winter break is hard enough without knowing that our break between winter and spring quarters is only one week long. Spring break might rock, but not nearly as much as one to three months off of school.

There are only two three-day weekends. Obviously it would be ideal if every weekend was three days long, but at least give us one a month.

Keep calm and remember that we’re halfway through the quarter! 

Just another college student trying to have it all, including style and comfort; follow my personal struggles with fashion, finances, and the future at www.thehannahgold.com
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.