This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

College is filled with first times and experiences, and we all go to college in pursuit of a higher education and to fill our lifelong dreams. We have all seen such movies as Animal House, American Pie and, more recently, Spring Breakers that set the standard for what we believe a college party is going to be like. The campus is full of new young students who are just waiting for the time of their lives, while the campus veterans gear up to open up their houses to everyone.

As the fabulous Fergie says, “A little party never killed nobody,” but do not be disappointed if there are no girls in bikinis dancing on table tops or hundreds of people gathered around pools chugging red Solo Cups. Some of these epic Hollywood college parties do not happen in real life.

Going to a small private school will guarantee a few things. First, the party will be packed, hot and sweaty. Second, since there are only a few houses willing to open their doors to the public, mostly everyone will know about the same party. Lastly, by junior year, you will know the majority of everyone at the party. Come Friday at 4 p.m., everyone will be eagerly awaiting word about the go-to party of the night. College is a free and limitless time that should be taken advantage of, so here are some tips to help make the most out of the house party.

1. The Golden Rule

Yes, I said it, the Golden Rule! You have probably heard your parents and teachers tell you about this, but just in case, here it is: “Treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.” This rule doesn’t stop after high school; it still applies to college and especially the house party. If you don’t want someone breaking stuff in your house, then don’t break stuff in his or her home. It is a really easy rule to remember and a basic rule of life.

2. Befriend The Owner of the House

This is important! This generous person is opening his or her home to your peers, and not knowing whose house you’re in could get you into trouble. This school is small, and the owners will probably kick you out if they do not recognize you. For freshmen, this rule is hard since you are new to the scene, but it would be a good idea to introduce yourselves; plus, you make more friends this way. Once you befriend the owners of the house, you will have no worries for the rest of the night — and you can hide your belongs in their various closets.

3. Dress to Impress (Comfortably)

In Seattle, there is an average of 226 cloudy days a year, and most of those days come with rain. We know this well, but for some reason, a few of us forget on Friday night and pay dearly for it. You will never go wrong wearing a jacket, I promise. Your hair and make-up will thank you ladies for wearing a coat. Another perk of living in this beautiful city are the rolling hills. I love heels as much as the next girl, but walking uphill six blocks would make even Kate Moss cry. Wear flats or sneakers until you get to the party.

4. This is a marathon, not a sprint

We start the drinking early and go late, so moderation is key! Don’t throw back a ton of shots at the pregame and get sick before you make it to the party. This isn’t Old School, so we don’t want you blacked out and running naked through campus. If you see your friend getting sick, help him or her out even if you miss the party. Believe me when I say that there will be times when you need them to return the favor.

I will part with one last gift: you have to see these people on Monday! Yes, that guy you made out with in Accounting will be there, and yes, everyone saw you pop, lock and fall on your butt. It is important to remember this because even though small schools are great, they are still small, and people will find out. Life is what you make it and so are house parties, so relax, have fun and make the most of it!