This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Ahh Spring, hear that? It’s the sound of mechanical pencils running out of lead, paper-less notebooks closing, and the minds of high school seniors drifting out the window. High school graduation is just around the corner; and so is college! This article is full of the stories of budding Seattle University freshmen for the class of 2019.

First, I talked with the talented Anna Kaplan, a senior at the Central Academy of Technology and Arts in Monroe, North Carolina. Anna enjoys attending concerts, blogging, and writing. She is particularly fond of mini Reece’s cups and watching movies.

“I chose the pre-major because I have a few interests and I need time to decide which one is truly best for me,” Kaplan shares. She plans on joining an extracurricular that involves music and writing in some form. 

Anna explained what she was looking forward to when moving to Seattle, “The music scene is huge, so I’m stoked to go to as many shows as possible! I expect Seattle University to help me mature because I will become totally independent. I’m moving across the country, so I’m a 5 hour plane ride from home. I’m also looking forward to learning a new way of thinking from the people around me and Jesuit teachings.” 

Next is the lovely Alli Johnson from Las Vegas, Nevada. Alli went to Faith Lutheran High School in Las Vegas, however she left during her junior year and got her GED. Miss Johnson’s favorite food is sushi, and she loves competitively riding horses. At SU this fall, she will be pursuing a Bachelors in Science in biology; she will be on the pre-vet track to become a veterinarian.

Alli explains her aspirations: “I hope that Seattle University will help me grow as a person by surrounding me with different beliefs. I want to become a better-rounded person and find who I am.” While in college, Alli is most looking forward to volunteering at local animal shelters and “enjoying many cups of coffee in Seattle.”

Finally, most of the incoming freshman should recognize Ian Wuertz of the Class of 2019 Facebook Page. Ian recently graduated from Regis Jesuit High School in Denver, CO. Mr. Socialite is a published author and a spirit leader (aka a “Rowdy,” at Regis High).

Ian shared some fun facts about himself: “I once chipped my tooth on a megaphone, I also have an irrational fear of bees. My favorite food is the classic burger and fries combo with a soda.”

Ian plans to major in Creative Writing; he said, “I picked this because I am a published author but I still have a lot to learn still.” While attending university, Ian aims to join the journalism staff and anything else that catches his attention.

“I really feel like the independence of being on my own in a city like Seattle will teach me a lot about responsibility and trust. I am really looking forward to wandering the city and just seeing what I happen upon.” 

The Class of 2019 is a bright, promising group. There is no doubt that these students are driven, talented, and compassionate bunch; and I am honored to call myself a member of the class of 2019.

As a self-proclaimed yoga junkie, Caitie is a soon-to-be journalism and photography major at Seattle University. When she is not frantically running around with a camera in her hands asking for names, quotes, and a quick picture, you can find her flowing her way through a vinyasa, smiling constantly, and tripping over her own feet. Caitie has a borderline obsession with cacti, kombucha, and positive vibes. She is an animal and human rights activist with very strong opinions on the bottled water industry. Her dream job is to become a photojournalist at National Geographic and travel the furthest reaches of the earth.
I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.