freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

MCM: Jesse Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

For those who watch Grey’s Anatomy, Jesse Williams, also known as Dr. Avery, is impossible to ignore. While he’s obviously blessed in terms of his appearance and as a talented, incredible actor, many people don’t know just how intelligent Jesse Williams is outside of his acting career. Jesse is a husband, a father of two, and a former school teacher. He also received a film and media degree and African studies degree from Temple University. 

Jesse Williams and his wife, Aryn Drake-Lee

Most importantly, Jesse is a huge activist for the Black Lives Matter movement and an all-around advocate for race-related issues in America. He is a member of the board of directors for a civil rights advocacy group called “The Advancement Project.” Jesse is the executive producer of a multimedia project, which includes an art exhibition, and a website for student and teacher curriculum, called “Question Bridge: Black Males.” This project focuses on the diversity among the black male identity. In addition to being present at Ferguson protests, he has also done his share by writing articles/being featured on CNN and The Huffington Post.

Jesse Williams talking race on CNN

If you’re interested in actually hearing what Jesse has to say about racism, you can watch him live on MSNBC here:

Aspiring journalist. New Haven, CT / Seattle, WA 
I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.