Man Bun Hall of Fame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Men’s hair trends have seen a lot of ups and downs over the years, from frosted tips to barely there crew cuts. But the most recent style to hit heads may be the reigning champion- the man bun.  While it would appear the popularity of the shaggy style is recent, a closer examination into it’s historical origin reveal the roots of the man bun date back centuries. Here is a look back at some of the most memorable man buns from around the globe.

While the original man bun can be credited to early depictions of Siddhartha Gautama, aka the Buddha as far back as sixth century BC, we see a reemergence of the trend beginning in the early 2000s. A pioneer of the modern man bun, David Beckham was rocking the top knot back in 2003.

Another memorable man bun founder? Orlando Bloom.

Following their lead, Heath Ledger and Colin Farrell grew their hair out long enough to sweep up in a bun.

One of the more stylish man buns seen thus far, Jared Leto showed the beauty that comes from the union of the man bun and the beard.

More recently, Bradley Cooper has been spotted sporting the updo with some tasteful facial hair to compliment it.

Since it’s origins hundreds of years ago, the man bun has truly taken off. Thousands of YouTube video tutorials instruct the Harry Styles wannabe how to get that perfect bun, and too many products to count offer the perfect gel to style your locks into submission.  Love it or hate it, it seems the man bun is here to stay. 

Hannah Tyne is a sophmore at Seattle University. When she's not traveling the world, you can find her eating excessive amounts of Thai food, exploring her awesome city and hugging puppies.