Lightening Up Your Wardrobe for Spring (Without Banning Black)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Students at Seattle U, and everyone else in the Pacific North West have anxiously been awaiting spring, when for a few months we are exposed to sunshine. We are all curious to see if Seattle U students and will temporarily retire their black and dark colored wardrobe for some floral and fresh pastels for the upcoming months of spring. 

However, what college student really has the money to buy an entire new wardrobe this season? Not us.

Keep black integrated in your spring collection while using these five go-to staples to help introduce your dark wardrobe to the light of spring: 

1.

Colored Necklaces

Easily dress up your favorite little black dress with a brightly colored necklace to give your look the splash of color you need. It’s best to choose a necklace with a gold base paired with a bright color to warm up dark colors.

2. Jean Jackets

Even though we are now in spring, don’t get carried away at the first sight of a sunny day. Spring can be chilly, so stay warm and stylish with a lightweight jean jacket. Stick with light wash denim to help to break up your dark wardrobe!  

We love American Apparel for their basic jean vests and jackets, which will never go out of style.

3. Maxi Skirts

Hold onto your black crop top and match it with a colorful maxi skirt. This one is lightweight, layered chiffon- perfect for spring, when paired with a crop top and strappy sandals. 

We love Free People’s skirts, like the one above. Take a gander at Free People’s festival ready, patterned maxi skirts!

4. Kimonos

For spring, soften your edgy, all-black look with a floral kimono. 

This one is from Forever 21, and super reasonably priced. Find your go to kimono this season at Forever 21!

5. Light wash high-waisted shorts

Have we mentioned we love light washed denim? Keep all your dark color crops, trendy t-shirts, and black tights, at the top of the pile this spring pairing them with light washed, high-waisted shorts. High-waisted shorts are everywhere: at Value Village, Lifelong, Urban Outfitters, Aprie… so many places right here on Capitol Hill. 

We hope these tips help you make the transition from winter to spring. As the clouds part and the sun comes out, let’s shed our dark and step into some light, without breaking the bank. 

Like a dark wardrobe? Us, too. Check out this week’s Style Watch: All Black Everything

Ashley is a freshman studying Environmental Studies and minoring in Business Administration at Seattle University. She can most commonly be found with a soy lattee in hand at a bookstore on Capital Hill. Follow her on twitter: ashleeysmith5
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.