This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Hey everybody, meet Kelsey McGarry! She rocks!

Hometown: Salt Lake City, UtahMajor: Social WorkAge: 22Sign: AriesCurrent Involvement:- New Orleans Spring Break Service Trip Leader- Drop the Bass Acapella Member- Intern at YMCA Young Adult Services- Circulation Desk Assistant at Lemieux Library- House Assistant at ArrupePast Involvement:- Orientation Advisor (two years)- University Choirs Chorale Member (three years)

HC: You went to NOLA with Shirts Across America for spring break, tell me about that. What was a big takeaway for you?

KM: I have been a student leader of this trip for the past two years. I have expended an enormous amount of time and energy into this annual trip during my time as a student, which in and of itself has created unexpected feelings of nostalgia when speaking about it. I feel incredibly grateful that students trust me with their spring break, and that many organizations (like Shirts Across America) are willing to help a select group of university students have incredibly rewarding, enjoyable and educational experiences. I am always impressed and deeply appreciative of the strength of the participants, particularly in the face of jarring conversations and raw experiences. The compartmentalized and intentional segregation of New Orleans residents based on race and the ubiquity of harmful history is disheartening, but important to recognize and remember, and keep in consideration while we exist in our own racialized environments and communities. I encourage anyone who has any questions about the trip to contact me, because I could talk about it forever. 

HC: If you and the lovely ladies of Drop the Bass could a acapella any song what would it be?

KM: So many good ones! I think I would choose something really awesome yet improbable, like a medley of the themes to all of my favorite action movies, like some musical combination of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Air Force One, The Rock, etc. I would also love to do any classic rock song. (Think: the scene from Step Brothers when they are driving). 

HC: Which professors have most inspired you? Any “must take” classes you’d recommend?

KM: I love history and Dr. Kamerling, so I recommend anything with him. Both Dr. Perry’s Race and Ethnicity course and Dr. O’Brien’s Sexual Politics course continue to inspire me. And a special shout out to the person who is hugely responsible for my social work successes, Dr. Brennan. 

HC: Her Campus does a lot of #WCW articles. Who is your woman crush?

KM: I have a massive crush on all of the beautiful, talented, brilliant, energizing, passionate. inspiring women in my life (particularly one fellow dolphin lover). Also Kate Winslet.

HC: You win a free flight to the destination of your choice – where is it? What would you do first when you’re there?

KM: Bear Lake, Utah. Or the Guinness factory in Ireland. Or Alaska. I WANT TO GO EVERYWHERE.

HC: And finally, what is something your close friends might not know about you?

They might not know that I am incredibly happy because of their existence in my life. Thanks friends!

I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.