How to Professionally Network at a Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Founder and CEO of popular fashion powerhouse: Nasty Gal, Sophia Amoruso once said “Treat your mind like your money; don’t waste it”.  But nobody should waste a Friday night either. Well thankfully you can have a memorable night out and still score a few points on your resume.

There are a few great environments for networking and a college party can be one of them. The best place to meet people to network with, would be an event or party that has a people from all different majors and all different classes. The more diverse the guest list the wider the range of potential connections.

With just these few tips you will be sure to have a great night make a memorable impression, and score some potential connections. 

1.     Dress for Success, Dress to Party, Dress to Network

Depending on the theme of the party there may be a certain attire required. When it comes to networking wear something that will complement the environment you’re in, as well make you stand out. The context of standing out though is crucial. If it’s a themed costume party go ahead and rock your costume, if its another Friday night, wear whatever you would normally wear, but this should be something that will make the person your networking with respect as well as remember you. Don’t come in a pants suit and a button up, but veer away from the crop top and mini as well.

2.    Where to Start

If you need a jumping off point for working a room, start with introductions in groups. Have your friends that you came with introduce you to people you haven’t met yet, if you know the owner of the house or the person you invited you have them introduce you to the people they know. The best jumping off point if you aren’t quiet ready to work a room is to find mutual friends and acquaintances and have them be your introduction. You will have people to introduce to them that they don’t know as well.

3.    Sometimes Networking is a Solo Mission

When you arrive at the party it’s great to always come with friends, but when networking, this time instead sticking with your usual group, it’s time to fan out and spark up conversation with people outside the friends circle. The people you don’t know, don’t have classes with, or don’t go to school with, present great unknown opportunity and a whole new network of people to connect with.

4.    Don’t take yourself too seriously…but maybe just a little. 

When networking at any event business formal or not, it’s always important to be mindful of how others are perceiving you. Be professional, polite, and pleasant, but on the other hand, don’t forget to be interesting. Be yourself. People want to work with people they can also relax with. Keeping a balance of calm and collected with those interesting stories you normally would tell at a party is the ideal compromise for college networking.

5.    Have Fun with it

It’s still your weekend, so make the most of the night and let conversations happen naturally, you don’t need to find a networking connection in every conversation. The most natural way to network is through friends, so making new friends should be the first priority. So work the room with confidence and relax. The best things after all happen when you’re not expecting it. 

Journalism and Political Science Student at Seattle University