This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and like any good romantic comedy/drama fanatic, I’ve been thinking about my favorite romantic movies. Romance is probably my favorite genre; I’m truly always down for a good romantic movie. This Valentine’s Day will be spent inside, on my couch (if I can convince my parents to watch with me) or in my room fawning over my favorite romantic leads. My issue is always picking a movie when I sit down to watch something, but thinking about it for a week now has given me a couple of top contenders. So, without further ado, here’s my list of some of my favorites (in no particular order).

Dirty Dancing (1987)

This was my favorite movie for years and is still one of my go-to movies on sick days. The dancing is great, the outfits are phenomenal, the soundtrack is marvelous, and who doesn’t love Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey? Plus I’m a sucker for a good summer romance. Dirty Dancing truly ticks all my boxes for a great romantic movie (though I must admit, that’s not hard to do). You can stream it on Hulu with a premium subscription. And remember—nobody puts Baby in a corner.

13 Going on 30

This was one of the very first romantic comedies I remember watching. I’m a big Jennifer Garner fan, and the fact that Mark Ruffalo plays the love interest only makes it that much better. The movie is lighthearted, funny, and brings up all the memories of your first love from middle school, without the embarrassment; instead you get to watch a 30-year-old woman go through it. My freshman year of college, this was a movie I’d watch repeatedly to cheer myself up. You can stream it on HBO Max.

The Wedding Date

I only just recently watched this movie, and full disclosure, I have a massive crush on Dermot Mulroney. There’s a bit of a will-they-won’t-they-do-they-even-want-to? plot here that scratches all the right spots in my brain. The movie is funny with a sprinkle of drama, and I found myself really rooting for some of the characters while hoping others would get what they deserve. Also, Amy Adams is in it, so you know it’s worth the watch. You can stream it on HBO Max.

Pretty Woman

If I have a massive crush on Dermot Mulroney, my crush on Julia Roberts is astronomical. I love this movie because there’s the romantic plot (another will they/won’t they/do they even want to?) and we see Julia Roberts’ character experience some real growth and finally pursue her dreams. It’s a feel-good movie with a happy ending—what more could you really want? You can rent it on Amazon Prime.

My Best Friend’s Wedding

This movie has Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney, and I’m a big enough person to admit that’s part of why I like it so much. Roberts plays a truly horrible woman set on ruining her best friend’s (Mulroney) wedding, but it’s still funny with an aspect of romance. This time you’re really not rooting for Roberts’ character, but then again I think it’s fun to mix it up and sometimes root against your protagonist. You can stream this movie on Netflix.

A Star is Born (2018)

Did this movie destroy me? Yes. Do I have to emotionally prepare to watch it? Yes. Do I still love it with my entire being? Absolutely! It took me a while to see this movie, but now that I have I absolutely adore it. The music is fantastic (my brother, dad, and I all have half the soundtrack saved on various playlists), and the storyline is vulnerable and beautiful and painful. You’re definitely not in for a happy ending with this film, but sometimes, that’s what you need. You can stream it on HBO Max.

Me Before You

To say I bawled at this movie almost doesn’t cover it. This movie engulfed me in its plot and ripped my heart out. But I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it. It’s one of those movies you return to when you need a good cry, and there’s no shame in that. It’s a beautiful love story that explores depression and coping after a life-changing event. You’ll grow to care about all the characters, I can promise you that. You can rent it on Amazon Prime. (Don’t forget your tissues!)

Last Christmas

Last sad movie on the list, I promise. I watched this movie a few weeks ago and did not guess the plot twist correctly. You love every character in this movie because they all seem so genuine and real. They’re flawed in a way that makes you want them to get better, which means you’re invested as you watch them develop. You can watch this movie on HBO Max.

Beauty and the Beast (2017)

The live-action remake of this movie is so personal to me. I don’t know why I love it so much—I mean seriously, when are remakes ever better than the original?—but I truly love this movie with my entire being. I don’t care that Emma Watson has a British accent or that Ewan McGregor has a truly terrible French accent; this movie is incredible. It’s better than the original version, and that’s a hill I will die on. You can stream it on Disney+.

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

Cheesy teen movies are the best. Last Valentine’s Day, all my girl friends and I got together, baked our favorite goodies, and screamed at the TV about who we thought Lara Jean should pick. The final instalment of the series comes out on February 12th (just in time for Valentine’s Day!) and I already know at some point this weekend I’ll be watching the movie, overly invested in the life of this fictional high school senior. And I’m okay with that. You can stream this series on Netflix.

Honorable Mention: Little Women (2019)

I don’t necessarily consider this a romantic movie, but there’s obviously a couple romance plotlines, so I’m adding it here. Little Women is my all-time favorite movie and I think every single person should see it. (Seriously, I watch this movie all the time.) You can watch it on Hulu with a premium subscription.

Making my list of favorites was so much harder than I thought it would be because there are so many romantic comedies/dramas that I just love so much. For every movie that made the list, I could think of two more I wanted to add, but then the list would go on forever. I’m a big believer in romantic movies for any day and any mood, which is the only thing that makes me qualified to make this list (but really, what else do I need?). Check out one of my favorites this weekend, or revisit one of your own favorites to get yourself into the Valentine’s Day mood. I know I will certainly be watching the newest To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before movie, but after that who knows. The world is my oyster. So Happy Valentine’s Day, from my couch to yours.

Alexandra McGrew

Seattle U '21

Reading. Musical theater. Writing, writing, writing.
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.