This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

In the U.S. Thanksgiving week officially starts the holiday movie season. Besides the summer blockbuster season, during the months of November and December movies flood the entertainment market. Whether you chose to see a movie with your entire family to celebrate the beginning of the festive season or with a few friends to scope out early Academy Awards contenders, going to the movies during Thanksgiving is a popular tradition in the U.S. Here are the top movies you should watch in theaters while digesting turkey or taking a breaking from holiday shopping.

Family Flicks

Wreck It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet

The sequel to the 2012 Disney animated film Wreck it Ralph, Wreck It Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet hits theaters on November 22. Ralph and Vanellope embark on an adventure inside the internet to find a spare part to fix a video game. The sequel has been advertised as a mega crossover between all the Disney franchises including the Disney princesses and Pixar characters. Be sure to look out for a bunch of easter eggs!

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them: The Crimes of Grindelwald

The second film of the Fantastic Beasts five-part series will be released on November 16. This film focuses on Grindelwald’s rise to power in the magical world. In an effort to thwart Grindelwald’s plans of raising pure-blood wizards to rule over all non-magical beings, Albus Dumbledore enlists his former student Newt Scamander, who agrees to help, unaware of the dangers that lie ahead. Lines are drawn as love and loyalty are tested, even among the truest friends and family, in an increasingly divided world.

Instant Family

Instant Family hits theaters on November 16 and explores what it means to be family. When Pete and Ellie decide to start a family, they stumble into the world of foster care adoption. They hope to take in one small child, but when they meet three siblings, including a rebellious 15-year-old girl, they find themselves speeding from zero to three kids overnight. Now, Pete and Ellie must try to learn the ropes of instant parenthood in the hope of becoming a family.

Early Awards Contenders

Beautiful Boy

Beautiful Boy, starring Timothee Chalamet and Steve Carell, explores the idea of unconditional love and the bond between parent and child. Based on the best-selling pair of memoirs from father and son David and Nic Sheff, Beautiful Boy chronicles the heartbreaking and inspiring experience of survival, relapse, and recovery in a family coping with addiction.

A Star Is Born

A Star Is Born is this year’s La La Land. Everyone is talking about the film so don’t miss out on a lively discussion of this critic and audience favorite. In this new take on the tragic love story, Bradley Cooper plays seasoned musician Jackson Maine, who discovers—and falls in love with—struggling artist Ally. She has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer… until Jack coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally’s career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down, as Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own inner demons.

Bohemian Rhapsody

Released into theaters on November 2, Bohemian Rhapsody is a foot-stomping celebration of Queen, their music and their extraordinary lead singer Freddie Mercury. Freddie defied stereotypes and shattered convention to become one of the most beloved entertainers on the planet. The film traces the meteoric rise of the band through their iconic songs and revolutionary sound.

Whether you take up any of these recommendations or decide to watch an old but classic holiday movie be sure to take this Thanksgiving break to relax and spend time with loved ones. Movies have always been one of America’s favorite ways to pass the time so get out there, watch all the movies you can and share the best ones with your family and friends.

Emily Berg

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.