free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Career Advice: Finding a Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

With summer not far off in the distance, the daunting task of finding a summer internship has arrived. Internships are the perfect way to develop experience in a field of your interest, build your resume, and gain a competitive advantage. More importantly, a recent Forbes study revealed the direct connection between internship experience and a student’s ability to find a high paying job upon graduation.

So we can all agree that internships are important, but how do we get them? The first step is finding the organization that fits your needs. Do you need to make money, gain experience in a specific industry, or are you looking to live in a particular location? By clarifying the intention or purpose behind your internship, you can begin to determine the type of internship you are looking for.

Check out the links below, to find organizations and corporations that fit your needs:

Seattle internships

Seattle non-profit internships

Highest paying internships

Best corporate internships

Although these databases and online links will connect you to some of the trendiest internships in the country, the biggest secret to landing an internship, that everyone forgets to tell you, is that by networking with the people you know and exploring your own connections you will be more apt to finding and obtaining fun, meaningful internship experiences.

Summer internships typically start towards the end of May and beginning of June. However, most companies are extremely accommodating to student schedules so don’t let scheduling issues prevent you from applying. Do your research, find positions that align with your interest, and apply today! 

Stay tuned for more from the Career Advice column for resume, cover letter, and interview tips.