Campus Celebrity: Leela Sabaratnam

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Name: Leela Sabaratnam

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Davidson, North Carolina

Major: Environmental Studies with a specialization in politics, policy, and justice

Hobbies: Sleeping, eating candy, praising Yeezus

Fun Fact: All of her Instagram captions are Kanye West lyrics

Not-So-Fun Fact: Sometimes she gets heartburn.

School Activities and Involvement: SEAC Films Chair, CAC Student Ambassador, Orientation Advisor, Heartbreaker, Dream maker, Love Taker

If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be?

Corgis. Drake. Candy.

What is your favorite book and why?

Harry Potter Books 1-7, but also Absalom, Absalom!

Harry Potter because of life. Absalom, Absalom! because it’s about the south and it is so masterfully written, it reminds me of home in such an odd way.

Who are some of your favorite musical artists at the moment?

Always Kanye West and The Lonely Forrest. But currently, Iron & Wine, Hey Marseilles, and Drake.

What is the best concert you’ve been to?

I have two favorite concerts, and you guessed it, they’re The Lonely Forest and Kanye West.

I saw The Lonely Forest for the first time in 2007, and they are the reason that I fell in love with Seattle. I listened to them throughout high school, and last year I was able to see them live after a few years. They were SO amazing live, and that show really enforced my love for this place.

Kanye West was perfect live. That is all I have to say about that.

If you could be one Parks and Recreation character for one day, who would it be?

Tom Haverford…no actually Leslie Knope when she meets Joe Biden. Joe Biden is so handsome.

The word around town is that you love Kanye West. Can you tell us why?

He’s perfect. He has been so influential in so many different communities, whether it’s film, fashion, music, politics—he has contributed enormously. He gets so much grief for just about everything he does but I admire him so much for continuing his work. He uses music to comment on social justice issues, and because he is on such a high platform those issues are circulated to people that wouldn’t hear it otherwise.

I don’t know, like if you take a look at Eminem and his lyrics they are horrifying. He talks about taking advantage of women and constantly makes joke about heavily oppressed groups. Yet, in mainstream media that is rarely, if ever, talked about.

But, when Kanye West comes out is openly proud of the progressive work he has done in music, everyone has a comment on it. I don’t see that as a coincidence. He has to constantly defend his identity because he is living in this dominant white, American culture. There is one thing that he said in an interview which I really related to: “I’m not interested in things unless they hit me in a certain place in my heart. I get bored really easily. I’m like majorly underwhelmed in general.”

What is your favorite thing about being a part of the SU community?

I have only lived in Seattle for a year and a half, but I can truly say that I have grown up here. That is my favorite part about this community. The memories that I have made aren’t just memories for me, they have created a person who I am so proud to be.

Hey, hi, hello! My name is April and contrary to belief, I was not born in April—but that's okay. I enjoy (many) cups of coffee, '80s romcoms, and film photography. I write about things that I care about, so hopefully you find some interest in them as well.
I am a senior at Seattle University, studying both Communications and Spanish. My passions lie in fashion, social justice, writing, and editorial work. I am looking forward to being a Campus Correspondant with Her Campus, and can't wait to create a unique space online with the students of Seattle University.