This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

As a suburban girl who has always adored the city, I was more than excited to be moving to Seattle for college. But since being here, I’ll be the first to say–it’s pretty nerve wracking. And being a woman only amplifies this fear. From the moment we could walk, we were warned constantly to watch our surroundings, go with a buddy, and don’t talk to strangers. Now we’re big kids in a big city with the desire to explore and find THE hangout. We want to know what only the locals know— the non-expensive places to eat, clothing stores with a great selection, places for the perfect date, and much more.

Now we’re here with less supervision than at home and when we’re out, deep down we’re stressing to remember all the safety tips we had been given when we were younger. Rest assured, Seattle PD has provided a few but important safety tips.

• To prevent thievery, keep personal belongings close

• When walking, stay confident and look assured

• If placed in a robbing situation, it’s usually safest to hand over what the attacker wants

• Trust yourself, if something feels off, don’t follow through with it

Here are some more common and “street smart” safety tips that surprisingly, the Seattle PD didn’t touch on.

• Know where you’re headed and how to get back

• Say alert when by yourself— watch for other people’s shadows and keep music low enough to hear your surroundings

• Travel with friends (Bonus: it’s usually more fun that way)

• Stay in public areas i.e. don’t go into dark allies

• If walking home late at night, make sure your phone is charged before leaving a safe area (or always carry a charged portable charger)

• Bring what you need, leave any valuables at home

• Carry a can of pepper spray, or tazer (Aside from their pocket knives, Amazon has the most cost efficient self defense products)

SU campus also provides safety protection with a broad range of programs for Seattle U students. Our Department of Public Safety services can range from the lost and found to the 24 hour walking escorts service.  Feel free to also check out Seattle University’s “What To Do! Public Safety Emergency Guide” for evacuation sites, earthquake information, fire safety, and more.

Being safe is an important characteristic to develop. It’s a trait that can bridge the gap from adolescence to a fully grown adult. Yes, caution can be annoying at times, but it’s important to keep in mind. Hopefully this safety advice provides some comfort on your next adventure–now go enjoy the freedom and wonderful city of Seattle!

Jollan Franco

Seattle U '22

English Major Lacrosse Player
Anna Petgrave

Seattle U '21

Anna Petgrave Major: English Creative Writing; Minor: Writing Studies Her Campus @ Seattle University Campus Correspondent and Senior Editor Anna Petgrave is passionate about learning and experiencing the world as much as she can. She has an insatiable itch to travel and connect with new and different people. She hopes one day to be a writer herself, but in the meantime she is chasing her dream of editing. Social justice, compassion, expression, and interpersonal understanding are merely a few of her passions--of which she is finding more and more every day.